Wildboar Clough Scramble 23rd Jan

Home Forums Messages click here Wildboar Clough Scramble 23rd Jan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kial Wright
    Keymaster

Meet in Torside reservoir carpark (grid ref SK 068 983) on the B6105 (pay & display) or you can park for free just as you cross Woodhead reservoir when joining the B6105 from the A628 (grid ref SK 082 994).
    We will be setting off from the carpark at 9.30 prompt so if you are doing the free parking option allow enough time to walk the mile or so to meet us.

The walk will set-off along the Longdendale trail for a short period then head east passing through woodland to reach Wildboar Clough and the start of the scramble. Depending on conditions and the amount of water in the river will dictate the route but expect a minimum of a grade 2 scramble. I’m happy to take a short rope for anyone that wants some extra security on the harder sections – take your harness if you think you might need a rope.

Once we reach the top its an easy walk along the Pennine way to Bleaklow Head & Alport Low. We then head west and pass through the B29 plane wreak of 1948 while heading to the trig point.
    We will the head over to Yellow Slacks and over the brook before crossing open moorland (often see white hear along hare) to pickup the Pennine way which we will follow until we hit the top of Torside Cough. We then scramble down the clough (expect to get wet here). We then have the option of adding in another grade 2 scramble up Torside gully if time permits.
    Whichever option we take its back onto the Pennie Way for an easy walk back to the carpark.

Hope to see lots of you there

Kial

kial.wright@googlemail.com
    07917 440918

Kial Wright
    Keymaster

Evening all,

Just a reminder about Wildboar clough scramble this Sunday 23rd Jan.
    I can offer a lift if you can get somewhere close to my route, i don’t mind a small diversion, I’ll be going M18, M1, A628.
    Give me a call on 07917 440918
    P.S Geoff has also offered a lift from west side of Sheffield.

Cheers and see you all Sunday
    Kial

Kial Wright
    Keymaster

Meet report from Kial’s Wildboar Clough Scramble 23/1/22

8 of us met at Torside reservoir carpark to find the parking God firmly on our side – the ticket machine being out of order meant free parking all round 😊
    We set-off at a leisurely pace along the Trans Pennine Trail before heading off into woodland to join the bottom of Wildboar Clough. With very little water flowing we found ourselves deep in the middle of the riverbed hoping across moss covered rocks. We soon arrived at the first major obstacle with each of us finding a different route up the waterfall, Bill taking the direct line and straight up the flowing water!
    Several waterfalls later and only the odd damp foot we made it to the top of the clough and headed across moorland to pick up the Pennie Way.
    We followed this for a couple of miles before heading West towards the B29 crash site (the whole of Sheffield seemed to have had the same idea, all blindly following there mobile phones) and then to the trig point at Higher Shelf Stones. From here we followed the path West before cutting across moorland, heading North towards Yellowslacks Brook which provided a welcome lunch stop.
    We followed this to Wain Stones and then on a compass bearing headed across moorland to pick up the Pennine Way at the top of Torside Clough.
    We split up at this point with 3 members opting for the quick way back down the Pennine Way while the rest of us did more rock hoping, stream crossing and scrambling down Torside Clough. We then picked up the Pennine Way and followed this back down to the Trans Pennine Trail and the flat walk back to the carpark.
    11.5 miles covered in a thoroughly enjoyable day, thanks to everyone that turned up.
    Kial
    P.S photos on facebook via this link
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/365080970512881/permalink/1573575146330118/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.