Torridon 15-22.10.23

Home Forums Messages click here Torridon 15-22.10.23

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard Pegram
    Participant

Hiya – This autumn trip to explore the mighty Torridon ridges uses the Hostelling Scotland hostel in Achnasheen. Unusually you book yourself in directly rather than through the meets organiser if you’re interested. I found it easier to do this by phone – 0345 293 7373. If you’re a YHA member that counts for this and saves a few quid. See also http://castlemountaineering.com/forums/topic/torridon-in-october/

Kial Wright
    Keymaster

Seems to be lots of confusion so please follow this link for the correct hostel…

https://www.hostellingscotland.org.uk/hostels/torridon/

Richard Pegram
    Participant

I’ve set up a WhatsApp group for this meet. Please let me know if I’ve neglected to include your name.

Richard Pegram
    Participant

Meet Report – Well after an epic journey there and back, taking in the usual rest breaks at the Kiosk Cafe on the A66, Cafe Areite in Moffat and Graham Tiso’s, this is how the trip went:
    Monday – most of us climbed Moruisg: Me, Richard Craig from FRCC, John, David, Goeff and Pete. Climbing in the mist and bitterly cold wind and quite a dull hill, but I enjoyed the descent. The demoted Munro by it was more interesting.
    Tuesday – me, Geoff, Peter and Helen climbed Liathach in perfect conditions. What else can I say? John and David did Maoile Lunndaidh and Richard Maol Chean Dearg.
    Wednesday – Geoff, Helen and Peter endured buffeting winds to climb a munro on Beinn Eight before retreating off the ridge. Me and Richard turned back already, at the triple buttresses. John and David completed the Plockton cafe horseshoe – challenging but rewarding apparently.
    Thursday – With Storm Babet arriving, with forecast comments like “red alert”, “unprecedented rainfall” (in Scotland!} and ” hurricane force winds” we all decided to bugger off home, via the usual cafes.
    Note: I’d flag up that Torridon YHA was great: clean, comfortable and friendly with a full range of facilities, including a lounge with panoramic views and, it even looks like we’ll get a couple go days refund on our early departure. Recommended. I might start using hostels more often.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.