Sunday 9th February: Dark Peak Walk/Scramble

Home Forums Messages click here Sunday 9th February: Dark Peak Walk/Scramble

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Embley
    Keymaster

BLEAKLOW HEAD via Torside Clough

Is it a walk? Is it a scramble? Is it a mudfest? – potentially all three!

MEET: 10.00am at Torside Car Park on B6105 opposite Torside Reservoir. SK13 1JF / GR SK06869834
    (NB Pay and Display – COINS ONLY, £4.50 for full day.)

MAIN ROUTE (includes Grade 1 Scramble):
    Follows Torside Clough till it intersects with the Pennine Way bridlepath high on the Bleaklow plateau. This is a grade 1 scramble, entertaining but never desperate, which involves boulder hopping along the stream bed and ascending several small waterfalls. At the intersection with the Pennine Way this will be followed to the summit of Bleaklow. Waterproofs recommended even on a dry day as you have to walk under a waterfall.

ALTERNATIVE ROUTE (for walkers or if conditions very bad):
    The Pennine Way bridlepath can be followed above Torside Clough. This has the bonus that you will be able to jeer down at the foolish folk scrambling along the stream below! The two routes rejoin where Torside Clough intersects with the bridlepath.

MORE INFO: I can be contacted on 07849137077 or via Tuesday WhatsApp group: Paul Embley

Paul Embley
    Keymaster

Unfortunately “Storm Ciara” is forecast to hit our area on Sunday bringing rain and gale-force winds. I have reluctantly decided that the sensible thing is to CANCEL the walk/scramble on Sunday 9th February.
    However the forecast for Saturday, 8th Feb is quite good so I am intending to do the walk on Saturday instead. If anyone else is interested I will be starting from Torside carpark at 10am on Saturday morning.

Chris Lunn
    Participant

Sorry Paul I can’t make Saturday ☹️

Paul Embley
    Keymaster

Meet Report on rescheduled scramble (Saturday 8th February)
    A few “storm dodgers” met a day early for the scramble up to Bleaklow via Torside Clough. We were a select but very multinational bunch with representation from Turkey, Japan, Yorkshire and “God’s Own Country” (Lancashire). Luckily the Pay and Display machine was out of order so we all saved the price of a pint. The scramble up Torside Clough was not quite what some members had expected involving lots of boulder hopping and multiple stream crossings. However we did discover several deep pools which would have been brilliant swimming spots in warmer weather – luckily no-one opted for an involuntary dip yesterday! Sunshine and a chilly wind greeted us when we emerged onto the Bleaklow plateau and after a short stop on the summit we looped round to the Wain Stones. A mountain hare was spotted – his brilliant white coat no longer seeming like effective camouflage in our era of global warming. Descent was by the Pennine Way path and the Longdendale Trail. Back at the carpark we completed the day with an inspection of campervans and discussion of the merits of different internal designs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.