CASTLE MOUNTAINEERING CLUB
50th Anniversary celebration weekend: 20 – 22th October 2017
Friday 20 October
From 8.00pm: an informal get together for a drink at the Castle Inn, Bradway where it all started 50 years ago.
Saturday 21 October
11.00am to 1.30pm drop-in at the Clubroom behind the Rising Sun Abbey Lane, Sheffield. Bread and cheese lunch.
4.00pm Sickleholme Golf Club. Tea, exhibition, slideshow, merchandise
6.30pm Group photographs (which will be available in due course)
7.30pm Welcome by the President
- Starter: Salmon mousse or leek and potato soup
- Main course (buffet): Roast sirloin of beef; Glazed roast ham, Hot spicy chicken; Poached salmon; Red onion and goat’s cheese tart; Nut and mushroom roast; Spinach and watercress roulade. All with a selection of salad and roast and boiled potatoes.
- Desserts: Sticky toffee pudding; Lemon tart; Bakewell tart (all with ice cream); Cheese; Fruit salad.
- White and red wine.
Cutting the cake. Ashley Turner (Founder member), Linda (McLeish (President), Ian Smith (Guest speaker).
Raffle (raised over £500 towards the refurbishment of the Clubroom electrics)
Coffee and Celebration cake
Guest speaker Ian Smith (well-known climber, outdoor journalist and photographer). Toast: “The Castle Mountaineering Club”
Response Mike Jackson (early member of the Club and Secretary after founder Alec Barclay). Toast “The next Fifty Years”
Activities from 10.30am
Climbing (coordinator Andrew Milne) Too wet and windy
Cycling (coordinator Dick Murton) Mountain bike ride in windy conditions, done by four
Walking (coordinator Sean Jennings) 25 walkers from Curbar Gap
The Pub The Grouse Inn. Walkers, mountain bike riders and others (about 45) met here
Vanda Boyd, Sean Jennings, Andy Smith
Thanks also to the many others who contributed to the success of the weekend
- Linda McLeish (Master of Ceremonies)
- Ian Smith (entertaining and thoughtful speech). Ian started climbing just one year after the Club was founded
- Ian Smith (Photographs)
- Mike Jackson (Speech)
- David Pendlebury (Slide show)
- Rosy Smith (Celebration cake)
- Ashley Turner (Cutting the cake)
- Ali Milne (Photograph organiser)
- Marianne Lawson (Welcome desk)
- Mary Reape Marian Birkett & Hugh Dowling (T-shirt, book and calendar sales)
- Frank Mellor (Photographs)
- Dick Murton (Cycle ride leader)
- Sickleholme Golf Club staff and Tracey Woodhead (Attentive service and delicious food)
- Raffle prize providers: Awesome Walls (Sheffield), Outside (Hathersage), Ashford-in-the Water tea rooms, BMC, Ian Smith, and anyone else who donated a raffle prize)
- Mike Doyle (Keeping the accounts)
- Bradwell Historical Society (Loan of display board)