50th Anniversary weekend report

Home Forums Messages click here 50th Anniversary weekend report

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    David Pendlebury
    Keymaster

What a fantastic weekend. All activities organised were attended by at least 40 people, the dinner 115, and the conversations were buzzing. Newer members met longer standing and ex members, and friendships were formed and reformed.
    We took over part of the Castle Inn on Friday night, bringing back many happy memories for some. Then Saturday lunchtime at the Clubroom went very well, some who helped make the clubroom from a dilapidated barn were there, and could tell some of us who were in the photos I have seen on the walls since I started at the club over 30 years ago. Vanda sorted out bread cheese and nibbles which was very welcome.
    The event at the Sickleholme Golf Club was more than just a dinner. There was memorabilia, 50th anniversary calendar, made by Judith, A rolling slideshow compiled by David P. , T shirts organised by Mary and Hugh, The Castle 21st book written by many etc. A group photo was achieved skillfully by Ian Smith who was also our guest speaker.
    The food was excellent, and the room was full of laughter and chatting, The raffle was very well supported, lots of prizes from lots of individuals and companies. In particular, Awesome Walls and Outside and Ashford in the Water Tea room . We raised over £500, and that pays for the work on the electrics in the clubroom done this summer, which was very needed. Thank you for your generousity.
    The brilliant Cake made by Rosie Smith was cut by Ashley Turner, Ian Smith and myself, and Franks photo of this is already on the website, with many more to follow. If you have any good photos of the weekend please send to Andy Smith.
    I introduced Ian Smith, who is a natural and got us all gently laughing with the changes in gear etc from 1967 and now. I particularly liked the 6 crabs to one old heavy one. He had everyones attention and his speech was thoroughly appreciated.
    Mike jackson gave a very able response and impressed us all. We all learnt something this evening.
    More eating and drinking and talking continued until midnight at kicking out time.
    Sunday was a windy wet day , encouraging all not to climb, but walk and mountain bike. Over 20 walked, more than 20 others joined us at the pub for lunch when the wet bikers came in to get warm!
    The whole year of 50th anniversary extras and usual meets has been lovely and I feel very privileged to be President (and a bit knackered too!). Thanks to so many people for making this weekend and the year so special. What wonderful people you all are.
    See you soon, Linda McLeish , President.
    ps The group photos will be published soon, and Andy will be in touch with club members and those on the mailing list.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.