Message from our Vice President Lin Warriss, dated 14 Jan 2022
An outcome of our AGM was the need to establish working groups to look at the future of the clubroom and tenure of committee posts. We are now seeking volunteers for the groups, the briefs for which are below.
We are aiming for small groups (single figures) covering cross sections of the membership, with at least some people with topical knowledge. Groups would initially be convened by a committee member who would look for mutually convenient meeting times but the group could then appoint their own chair and note taker.
We cannot quantify the time demands, but you need to factor in availability for meetings and research tasks, over the next five months or so. Findings and recommendations to be made to the committee no later than June 2022.
- The future of the clubroom. This group will build upon the work already done by the committee to establish whether the club room continues to be an asset to the club and to produce information for circulation prior to an all-member vote. The vote will be held before our next AGM so that any necessary amendments to the constitution may be passed. Consideration should be given to:-
- What might be done to maximise the use and user friendliness of the current clubroom to avoid abandoning a unique asset without due consideration
- Cost effective alternative venues for current and future club activities. (e.g. meetings / socials / training on wall)
- Provision of cost effective, suitable and accessible storage of our library and equipment.
- The length of tenure of committee members. This group will look at the current constitution as it pertains to the committee and produce proposed amendments for consideration at the next AGM. Length of tenure is the main focus but a couple of anomalies have been identified which would benefit from clarification as part of the process.
The current rules limit the tenure of the President and Vice President to 2 years but do not cover any other roles.
Consideration should be given to:-
- Established good practice, whether from the BMC or other clubs of a similar size and remit.
- Encouraging fresh ideas versus losing existing expertise.
- Practicalities such as changing banking authorities every time the treasurer and other signatories are changed.
If you would like to join one of the groups, please email Lin Warriss (Vice President) on email@example.com stating which group you would like to join and whether you feel you have any particular knowledge which might support the group. This should be done before Friday 28th January so that the committee can discuss group membership at our February meeting.
Follow up from Lin, dated 21 Jan 2022