Zoom

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mary reape
    Keymaster

I’ve used zoom a few times so happy to help people download and once downloaded i can arrange a meeting with them so they can have a little play.
    Mary

John Barnard
    Participant

Mary and I had a successful test of the Zoom system last night, so I’m also now available to assist with people who want to try it out. I will be arranging a brief test with a few people from the Evening Climbing WhatsApp Group at 2130 this evening (Fri). I’m still a bit of a beginner at this, but I hope the following will be useful.

In order to use Zoom you need to download some software and install it on your computer or smartphone. So far as I can tell, you do not need to “register” on the Zoom system unless you want to be able to organise and “host” a meeting. I have installed the software on both my Windows 10 laptop, and on my Android smartphone. I assume that the process will be similar for Macs and iPhones by I have no experience with them.

You do not need a camera on your system (either built in or separate) but if you don’t have one, you will not be visible to others (though you will be able to see other people).

In order to join a meeting, someone (who is registered on the Zoom system) has to set up the meeting, and send an internet link to those people he (or she) wants to join the meeting. Clicking on this link will prompt you to download and install the software if you haven’t already done so, but it may be helpful to have installed it in advance.

For Windows computers it can be downloaded from https://zoom.us/download#client_4meeting (choose “Zoom Client for Meetings”. For Andoid phone users you can find it in the PlayStore.

Once the software is installed and you have clicked on the link to the meeting, you should automatically be added to the meeting, and will be able to see, hear and talk to the other people in it. There is also a facility for sending text messages either to everyone in the meeting, or just to individuals. The host for the meeting has control over it, and can mute or disconnect other people, or (I think) hand control over to them. It is also possible for people to “share” their screen, for example to show photos.

I will be sending an e-mail invitation to a test meeting to those people who expressed interest earlier this evening on the Climbing Whatsapp group. At this stage I’d rather keep it to just a handful of people, but might be able to do another test in a day or two.

Cheers
    JB

Mike Griffiths
    Participant

Hi John
    How can you join a CMC zoom meeting if you are not on the whats app group. I’d like to attend the next time you run a zoom session

many thanks
    mikeg

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

There are a few tips about using Zoom at the end of this article by Jane Wakefield, BBC Technology reporter.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52033217
    Andy

Elen Rees
    Participant

Good on yas JB Mary and Andy.
    Q. What would be the best way to put on a slide show?

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

Zoom has a facility to Share Screen. You have the slide show
    running on a different screen (or window). Click Share
    Screen select the slide show screen. Everyone in the meeting
    will then be able to see it. Andy. 28 Mar 2020

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

You can join a test meeting to try things out.
    Details at:
    https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115002262083-Joining-a-test-meeting
    Andy. 28 Mar 2020

Mike Griffiths
    Participant

Thanks all for the information. I’ve been to a couple of zoom events and they’ve been very good. Well organised and the speaker using the screen share facility.

Are you going to post the link to connect to the CMC zoom event on the discussion group. or the whatsapp group?

It’ll be good to meet upwith CMC again!

Many Thanks
    MikeG

John Barnard
    Participant

I’ve scheduled another test meeting for 5.0pm today (Saturday), and sent invitations by e-mail to those people who have contributed to the discussion here. I’m not going to post the meeting ID on this forum for security reasons, though for future meetings I guess that the WhatsApp groups (nominally for evening climbing, cycling and Sunday walks) might be another way of doing it.

If anyone who hasn’t had an invitation to this afternoon’s test meeting especially wants to participate, then please send me an e-mail to john@johnbarnard.me.uk by about 4.45pm. The purpose is just for people to ensure that they can connect OK, and to give everyone an idea of how it all works. So far I have just had one-to-one meetings with Mary (on Thursday night) and with Chris Lunn (last night), but this should be an opportunity to see what happens when we have more people involved.

Further tests can be scheduled (either by me, or preferably by someone else) over the coming days.

Steve Leather
    Keymaster

John, although I missed your last post, I would like to be included in later tests. Thanks

Pat & Martin
    Participant

Martin and Pat have now got around to downloading the Zoom software, so would like to participate in the next “test”, when there is one – please!

Keep well, everyone!

Pat and Martin.

John Barnard
    Participant

OK – we had a fairly successful test meeting yesterday evening. Most of the problems seemed to be related to a couple of people’s cameras and microphones (which are normally built in to laptops and tablets, and obviously smartphones).

It is not actually necessary to have a camera available. Rather than seeing a live picture of you, other people see either a photo you have uploaded (if you have registered on Zoom – not necessary to participate in a meeting) or a box with your name in. This is how I am working at present, as I don’t have a camera I can use with my desktop screen, and cheap ones are currently harder to get hold of than toilet rolls.

It’s worth testing your microphone in advance. This can be done by connecting to http://zoom.us/test which allows you to perform a simple test (“Can you hear this sound” Yes/No; “Say something and can you hear it played back to you” Yes/No).

I will run another test meeting at 5.0pm today (Sunday) and have sent invitations to those who have expressed interest. If you haven’t had an invitation and would like to participate, please e-mail me at john@johnbarnard.me.uk.

Cheers
    JB

John Barnard
    Participant

I’m doing another Zoom test session tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11.30am. If anyone else would like to join it, please e-mail me at john@johnbarnard.me.uk.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.