Zoom and Photo Comp

Home Forums Messages click here Zoom and Photo Comp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Frank Mellor
    Participant

Thanks to all who are working to set up Zoom and online photo comp. I followed JB’s link and appear to have successfully installed Zoom on my old laptop. It was fairly straightforward.
    I’m not sure what I need to do next but if there is some way of trialling the set up count me in.
    Cheers
    Frank

Frank Mellor
    Participant

Thinking about Zoom and the Photo Comp my preference is to postpone the latter until the virus has burnt out, especially as Ian Smith has indicated he would prefer to delay his judgment until then. We could then look forward to hearing Ian’s comments at a pleasant evening in the clubroom. What are member’s views about this?
    Frank

David Crowther
    Keymaster

To explain Frank’s comment for those not in the loop,

I spoke to Ian on the phone on Saturday. He and Viv are self-isolating through the virus business, but is happy to judge the competition and present an evening in the normal way when it’s all over.

Separately, a Zoom group for the club has started up. This is a programme (or app, for the younger among us) which allows social interaction via live video and sound feeds to multiple users, and also should allow presentation of a slide show (old-fashioned term, I know…).

I have all the competition entries organised by category as usual and could (with some degree of luck!) present them on Zoom just as a picture evening (no judging), with Ian doing his stuff later in the year. Alternatively we could leave the powder dry in the competition entries, waiting for the end of the virus problem and Ian’s subsequent views, and just use Zoom for a chat room or to show members’ pictures.

I’m happy either way. Any comments?

Dave C

vanda boyd
    Participant

Hi Dave,
    Saw Frank’s message and Vanda and I had similar thoughts, as did Andrew when we spoke on the phone last night.
    A major part of the comp is the feedback and judging from Ian, would be a pity to miss out on that.
    We would, however, be happy to join in with a ”Clubroom chat’ session via Zoom if/when one is arranged, possibly this Thursday.
    You may find a voice message to this effect, we seem to have 3 different phone numbers for you!!
    Cheers
    Paul and Vanda.

David Crowther
    Keymaster

As I thought I’d explained above, we will not miss out on Ian’s judgement and comments, because we can run the event later on. The question is whether members wish to just see the entries now, when the event was scheduled, or whether we keep them hidden until whenever.
    As I stated, I have no preference personally.
    If no-one is bothered about seeing them now then we can simply postpone viewing.

John Barnard
    Participant

Obviously there were only a few of us involved, but in the Zoom test meeting yesterday, I think the general consensus was that it would spoil the eventual judging if we all saw all the photos in advance, and then got them all again later in the year with Ian’s comments.

As a way of giving some structure to a clubroom “chat” session on Thursday evening, it was suggested that someone could show a few (no more than 20) slides, perhaps to reminisce about a favourite meet of the past. I was asked if I would prepare something for this Thursday, as I seem somehow to have become the club’s Zoom guru (a position I feel rather unqualified for, and which I will be very happy to pass on to someone else). I’ll post separately about that (and further Zoom test meetings, for those who failed to put their clocks forward yesterday and missed it!)

Zoom works fine on the whole, but you can really only have one person talking at a time, and side conversations are pretty well impossible (except using the non-audible “chat” text messaging feature).
    JB

JB

Frank Mellor
    Participant

To clarify my position :
    I think zoom will prove a boon in these days of no physical contact, and I look forward to joining future meetings and seeing “slide shows” etc.
    I strongly feel that the pictures submitted for the Photo Comp should not be exhibited before that event as it would remove any sense of anticipation or surprise and detract from the enjoyment of the evening.
    Entrants have submitted their photos on the understanding that they will be judged in the competition, not that they will be used in a zoom preview session.
    Thank you,
    Frank

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.