Yellowslacks Sunday 5th June

Home Forums Messages click here Yellowslacks Sunday 5th June

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    leon dowling
    Participant

The 5th of June is a special day for all CMC climbers as its time to revisit Yellowslacks! There are climbs from VD upwards. It take about an hour to walk in. This is a crag that is defiantly worth the effort to visit, even though there are only about forty routes on the main buttress. There are other routes on Lower Yellowslacks and on the nearby Shelf Benches.

The crag is accessed from Glossop Via Doctor’s Gate. If coming over the Snake, look for the Commercial Pub on the Right and turn up Manor Park Road. There you should see the Queen Inn where you turn right on Shepley Street and park near the turning circle adjacent to a factory. Post code SK137SA GR SK045948 53.450228N 1.9326577W.
    Coming from the Woodhead it is possible to cut the corner. I would suggest gear sharing as its makes the walk in more pleasurable and you will need all your strength for the climbing.

Doctor’s Gate is a wide track leading from the turning circle which is followed for a mile At a gate and stile take the path up a steep shoulder of moorland to the left and follow a well worn route along the edge of the moor for approximately a Mile.
    This a proper moorland crag with all the trimmings ie, Sheep trying to eat your sandwiches, steep fall offs into the Valley below, Weather etc. Queuing for routes is unlikely.

Because it a Bank holiday weekend I am away but Matt B has offered to be meet leader (thanks Matt).
    As its a BH weekend could people please let Matt know if they are going. I would suggest that if the Weather is looking iffy then an alternative sheltered venue might be better. Having said that it is fast drying and does not suffer from seepage.

Last time a visited the crag it was raining at the parking we decided to go for a walk up to the crag without gear.
    At the crag the Sun was out the rock was dry no queues.

I will leave it to Matt to suggest a starting time.
    The BMC’s Over the moors guide has all the routes and I personally thinks it contains some of the finest climbing in the Peak.
    Hope you all Have a great time.
    Leon

Matthew Biggins
    Participant

Thanks to Leon for the above meet info.

Weather for Sunday is looking excellent.

Meet 9.30am at the bus turning at the start of the Doctors Gate path.

As above, Grid Ref for meeting point is; SK045 948.

If you need any equipment of have any questions please drop me a text / call / message (07895273916)

See you Sunday!

Matt

Matthew Biggins
    Participant

Hi all,

The weather forecast has been changing but is now looking very dicey for tomorrow with rain forecast and and once it starts it looks set for the day.

So, as its a long walk in I’m going to call it and change venue.

So, I propose the hangar for some indoor bouldering. Same start time of 9.30, though obviously feel free to come along when you can.

Thanks,

Matt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.