Wilderness Gully East via Oaken Clough

Home Forums Messages click here Wilderness Gully East via Oaken Clough

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kial Wright
    Keymaster

Oaken Clough
    Charnel Clough
    Wilderness Gully East
    Hollins Clough
    Sunday 5th Feb
    Meet @ Crowden car park grid ref SK072992
    Setting off at 9am prompt
    Distance approx 9 miles
    Scramble grade 2

Route will head out north following the river to Oaken Clough. Ascent of Oaken Clough (grade 2) to meet up with the Pennine Way. Follow the Pennine way past Laddow to arrive at Chew Reservoir. We will cross the dam and head west through the disused quarry and follow edge round to Charnel Clough. Descend Charnel Clough (grade 1 scramble), cross Chew Road and descend into Chew Brook. We will follow Chew Brook upstream to the base of Wilderness Gully East and the start of the grade 2 scramble. Reaching the top of the gully we will head east along the main footpath back to Chew Reservoir. We will head south across moorland to pick up Hollins Clough. Descend Hollins Clough to reach Lad’s Leap. Head east to arrive back at the carpark.

Hope to see plenty of you there. Can you let me know if you intend to come along. If anyone feels they’d like a rope up the scramble then let me know before we set off and I’ll put a short rope in my bag (remember your harness).

Cheers
    Kial
    07917 440918

Kial Wright
    Keymaster

A chilly start saw 5 members plus two new attendees heading up the valley to join Oaken Clough which turned out be be a bit of a soggy route up for a couple of people!
    A quick coffee break at the top of the clough while drying out in the sun. We then had a easy walk along the Pennine way and cut across to Chew reservoir. Crossing over below the dam we followed the edge round to Charnel Clough and lunch. Heading down the clough was a much drier affair than the previous up.
    An easy walk up Chew Brook saw us at the bottom of Wilderness Gully East, again much drier than earlier on but very green on the alternate finish squeezing through & under boulders.
    Heading back to Chew Reservoir we then headed across moorland (not exactly in a straight line) to reach Hollins Clough and Lads Leap.
    From here we had an easy walk back along the path to the carpark.
    Great day out, thank to all that came.
    A few pics of the day on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/365080970512881/permalink/1857393054614991/

Cheers
    Kial

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.