Walk Report Thursday 30th Jan

Home Forums Messages click here Walk Report Thursday 30th Jan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Milne
    Keymaster

Walk report Thursday 30th Jan
    The sky was cloudy but this did not put off seventeen (including three potential new members) of us setting off from Millers Dale station. Despite the cloud Cheedale had not lost its drama and some of the party were lost in reverie thinking back to the bygone times of their younger days when they donned their climbing gear and scaled the walls of the valley. After negotiating the stepping stones, we went up to the old railway line, along this, and over the fields to Blackwell where lunch was taken on a piece of lawn outside the caravan site. We then followed the road for a short distance towards Priestcliffe before turning down Long Lane. It was here that as leader I was tested and found wanting when it came to knowing the name of a small but significant hill that was on our right. I’ve checked every map I have of the area and looked on line at old maps but alas not been able to find a name for the hill. What I have found by way of compensation is that it is 384 metres high and has a tumulus on its summit which is one of only 15 tumuli in Derbyshire.
    We continued down Long Lane and back into Cheedale. Mercifully no more questions I couldn’t answer were asked. The views I’d promised were not as good as hoped but nevertheless the walk went well helped by a large and jolly party.
    Andrew

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.