Walk Report 31/5/19

Home Forums Messages click here Walk Report 31/5/19

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Alison Milne
    Participant

Arrived at an empty car park to find just one other CMC member. Then realised I had publicized the wrong grid reference so we zoomed down the road to inform the crew. A convoy of cars then followed us back to the correct starting place. Feeling more popular, a group of thirteen headed off round Redmires Reservoirs. We continued into a wood for coffee and to avoid shower. Crossing the Lodge Moor road we followed a track to Rivelin Dams, admiring the vibrant colours of the rhododendron bushes along the way. Two benches provided a suitable lunch spot and the sun decided to join us for the afternoon. Next came the ancient headstone and a short dog’s leg through a gate, (as the option of climbing over a wall was swiftly rejected), leading us into the new territory of Oaking Clough. A well defined track then joined the Conduit, from where we spied Stanage Lodge and the remains of a waterworks abode on both the far and near horizons. In this area the Sheffield Platoon dug many earthworks to prepare for trench warfare and we speculated which surrounding landforms showed the evidence. It’s not obvious!. Just before reaching the cars, we spotted a metal sculpture of an infantry man, erected to commemorate the war dead. Thankyou to everyone who took part. Official mileage 7.34. However extra points awarded to Dave, JB and Andrew for lugging 50kg of exercise bike up 14 steps, after which we gobbled toasted hot cross buns and drank a much deserved tea! Credit also to Andrew for researching the route.
    Ali

David Crowther
    Keymaster

Ali, Andrew, JB & myself lugged the bike up the steps to my house. I thought it felt heavy for 50kg, and a re-reading of the manual indicated about 76kg! Many thanks to the three of you! It is now installed and working.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.