Walk Challenge

Home Forums Messages click here Walk Challenge

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Elen Rees
    Participant

wow – cycling challenge smashed. time to start thinking about the walking 500.

so far:

Elen Rees
    Participant

Sorry, lap top expired. so cycle week has gone brilliantly, but walk week is more of a challenge….

Here are the current events for walk week. I know some people have other walks planned , just let Mary know your totals. We may need all the help we can get. Not psure if dogs count, it may depend on the mileage we get!

Sunday 16. climbers walking up to Shining Cough
    I am planning a run(ish) Buxton to Hayfield. If any one wants to link in with transport, let me know

Monday 17 6.30pm. an evening walk around Ramsey Reservoir. 5miles. perfect for after work and people living \working in Chesterfield or Sheffield. More details to come.

Thursday 20th:
    Lin W is leading a 6mile Thursday walk. see her message
    Linda M is leading a 18 mile boundary walk, Wildboarclough to Whaley Bridge. see her message for details

Saturday 22
    I am leading a Southern boundary walk. as Dave C. has done the walk from Royston Grange to Thorpe and not given it a good review, This walk will be from Thorpe to Titteswoth -just under 20miles, but can be split into two sections, 8m & 11.4. More details to follow.

a few of us are planning to go to the music and swim night at Hathersage pool on Friday 21 (a Linda challenge). this could be a gentle walk opportunity -if anyone is interested
    p.S. If you are interested in the swim, its a good idea to book tickets.

if anyone lives away from the Peak District but would like to contribute , then we may have to temporarily extend the Peak District borders…

happy walking -just remember to tell Mary your totals. every step counts.

Dick Murton
    Participant

If dogs count, so they count double the mileage, or half the mileage because they have four legs???

Dick Murton
    Participant

If dogs count, do they count double the mileage, or half the mileage because they have four legs???

Elen Rees
    Participant

depends on how our tally is going. Maybe double the mileage due to double legs and just double again as they do more mileage anyway. That way a dog only has to do 125miles to reach the 500 target.
    Sounds like an O level maths question: (Given the above assumption), how many miles does a person and a dog need to walk to clock up 500miles.

((Yes I meant O-level and not GCSE)

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

The walks on Sunday 16th won’t count as the walking challenge week does not begin until 17th. Andy

Elen Rees
    Participant

Umm….
    According to the email sent out on 16th June from Bill’s account, the walk week starts on Sunday 16th, as climb week starts on Sunday 23rd
    Bike week was a bit shorter as it was Mike’s do at the weekend, although he did officially open it on Sat night. And bike week was the easiest of the three challenges.

I cant find my original proposal email , but when we planned it all wallk week start date was Sunday 16th.

Happy to go with collective decision – as long collective wisdom says it starts on Sunday!

Good ride today, thanks Mary and everyone. Hats off to Dave P who did two rides today, between him and Linda they’ve clocked up almost 350miles

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

Elen, there are links to your messages about the Challenge Weeks in the introductory paragraph of the Challenges page. Yes, you are right. The Cycle Challenge week is 7-days but the Walking and Climbing Challenge weeks are both 8 days, Sunday to Sunday, and therefore overlap. Glad we have got that sorted out! I have made the appropriate changes to the page (and also the Home Page). Andy

gordon riley
    Participant

Hi Regarding temporally extending the Peak District borders

I m due to take a group of kids up Snowdon next week

Maybe we could count that?

Gordon

Linda McLeish
    Participant

David and I are challenging ourselves to walk 50 miles next week and 50 climbs, no soloing, for climbing week. If I can manage the latter, I shall count it as one of my 50 challenges. I am on 32 so far!! Linda.

vanda boyd
    Participant

Linda: when are you coming to do your golf challenge?

Elen: does your Southern Boundary walk include Thorpe to Waterfall, as Vanda & I have already booked to do that, probably next Friday, as we’re at a wedding on the Saturday?

Mary; may be able t join you for part/all of your Monday walk, will know more tomorrow and let you know.
    Cheers
    Paul & Vanda

Kathy Burgess
    Participant

There will be a short walk before Linda’s swim night challenge at Hathersage pool on Friday 21st. Meet at Crossland Rd Hathersage 6:15pm for an hours walk before the swim at 7:30pm. Apparently there are only 20 tickets left for the swim evening so if you haven’t got one yet phone the pool on 01433 650843 to reserve one
    Kathy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.