- June 13, 2020 at 5:00 pm #15592Pat CocksParticipant
Martin Whitaker is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Martin Whitaker’s Desert Island Climbs Meeting
Time: Jun 18, 2020 08:30 PM London
Meeting ID: 789 4413 8779
Password in Members section of website.June 18, 2020 at 8:11 pm #15596Russ ClareParticipant
Excellent show, Martin. Some fantastic experiences. ThanksJune 21, 2020 at 5:09 pm #15599Pat CocksParticipant
Thanks, Russ. I guess I timed it so fine that there was no time for any questions, before we were Zoomed out. If anyone got “lost” part way through, and for those unable to “attend”, these were my 8 Desert Island climbs:-
1. The North Ridge of Piz Badile (3,308m/10,853ft), in the Bregaglia Alps of Switzerland. Grade IV+. About 3,200 feet of climbing. With Duncan P. in 1973.
2. A winter ascent of Tower Ridge on Ben Nevis, Scotland. Grade III. About 2,000 feet. With Marian B. in 1983.
3. The North Ridge of Mount Stuart (9,415 ft) in the Cascades, north-west U.S.A. Grade III, 5.4. With Pete C. (+ Pat and Pete S.) in 1993.
4. The Yellow Spur, Eldorado Canyon, Colorado, U.S.A. Grade 5.9, with 7 pitches. With Pat in 1994.
5. The South Face of Petit Grepon (12,100ft) in the Rocky Mountain N.P., Colorado, U.S.A. Grade III, 5.8 with 8-9 pitches. With Pat in 1996.
6. Jacobs Ladder, on Table Mountain in the Cape, South Africa. Grade 16, and 3 pitches. So good I’ve done it 3 times – first with Maurice W. in 1975, and twice with Pat in 1998.
7. An Arm and a Leg (E1, 5b), on Carrickcorie, Mull of Galloway, south-west Scotland. First ascent, with Iain W. in 2000.
8. Baboquivari (7,734ft) in southern Arizona, U.S.A. via the Southeast Arete, descending via the Forbes route and Great Ramp Grade 5.6. With Pat.
I slipped in a few quick extras at the end, to satisfy gritstone addicts – The Unprintable (E1, 5b)(Stanage), Wuthering (E2, 5b)(Stanage) & Great North Road (HVS,5a)(Millstone).
I can’t believe how many fantastic climbs I had to leave out of my 8! Have to get a bigger island!!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.