Tick Fest – Sat 30th June

Home Forums Messages click here Tick Fest – Sat 30th June

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Elen Rees
    Participant

Hello
    We hope you are all ready for CMCs Tick Fest. A fun day suitable for all CMC members, their families and hangers on.
    This is a team event with teams no bigger than 5 and there is a prize and massive kudos for the winning team.

Timings:
    10am at Stanage Plantation carjacking area for info re cycle ride ( more info in further message)

10.am at Stanage Plantation for start of climbing – or see further message

12-2pm picnic, Stanage Plantation carjacking area. bring your own food

From 12.30 Walk will be open. (more info in future message))

from 5ish Evening food and prize giving at North Lees Campsite. sadly no BBQs allowed but gas burners will be available. Bring food to share. . Again, further info in separate message.

As you may have gathered the aim of the day is to collect as many ticks as possible, and the Tick Meisters will be happy to dole out ticks for the minimum of effort… especially when you bribe them with cake. Ticks can be gained by taking part in a number of activities: cycling, swimming, climbing, walking. Ticks will be awarded by the mile, metre or by pool.

It is a freeform day and you choose what ever activity you want to do. There will be various length cycle routes starting c 10am , and a 5-6 mile walk for the afternoon. People who want to climb can do so all day, or do one of other the activities too.

The challenge part is cumulative. We are aiming for 51 miles of walking, 150 miles of cycling, 501 metres of climbing and 5 person pools entered. These miles, metres and pools can be done anywhere in the world, so those doing other things that day ( you know who you are), can text their totals in..

Team members do not have to do the same activity but teams are limited to 5 people. Each person can only be in one team. There will be other mild quizzes and treasure hunt type activities integrated in the day to enable teams to gain points. Lots of Points will also be awarded to teams with the oldest and youngest member, . On the judges discretion, other points may be awarded too.

Every participant will get a small momento of the day and the winning team will get a prize.. The Presidential Challenge will be launched at the evening meet.

Your Tick Meisters

Kathy, John, Mary and Elen

Anonymous
    Inactive

The following covers the climbing part of the challenge day. Scoring sheets will be available on the day to further complicate and confuse things.

John and Kathy

CMC Challenge Day 2018
    Climbing
    TICKETY BOO!!!

The General Idea
    is to collect climbing routes that begin with the letters in “tickety boo”

The Rules
    Climbs must be done on Burbage North and/or Stanage

The word “The” in a route name is ignored, so “The End All” begins with “E”

To fully complete the challenge 2 routes beginning with “T” and 2 beginning with “O” have to be done

The Very Complicated Scoring System
    “Doing” a route means leading, seconding, thirding (etc.) it, or climbing it with a fixed top rope.
    1 point is awarded per route done. Multipliers are applied for the above and for the grade, as follows:

Leading x 2
    Seconding x 1.5
    Thirding etc. x 1
    Filthy top roping x -2

Mod to HVD x 1
    Severe to Hard Severe x 1.5
    VS to E1 x 2
    E2 and above x -10

So, leading a severe gets 1 x 2 x 1.5 = 3 points

Bonus multipliers are awarded for the following:
    Climbing in wellington boots x 2
    Pouring and drinking fizzy wine en-route x 2
    Dropping a bottle or glass x -2 (gets very complicated, if you succeed in the pouring and drinking bit and then drop it, you lose even more points than if you drop it before drinking).

Only one bonus per person, so climbing 3 routes in wellies is pointless. Actually, climbing is pretty pointless, anyway…

Completing the challenge
    Almost completing it – just 1 “T” and 1 “O” 10 bonus points
    Fully completing it 20 bonus points

Elen Rees
    Participant

The organised walking element of the day will start from Stanage Plantation. It will be around 5-6 miles along Stanage Edge and Burbage Valley and finishing at North Lees campsite . Ticks will be awarded for each mile walked, along the way there will be things to spot giving you extra ticks. Anyone coming back with their own live tick will get a massive number of bonus ticks.* The. walk will be suitable for all, especially when I devise a Burbage Brook bypass

The walk info will be available from mid day, but anyone leaving at 12 noon on the dot will be docked points for shunning the group picnic which will start at around 12 and will go on for as long as people are picnicking. People will need to bring a map and a pen/pencil. I will provide a quiz sheet

Climbers will be able to combine some or all of the walk with their plans (to gain extra ticks) so I will also be at Stanage Plantation at 10-10.30am with the score sheets.

Extra points will be given to anyone who goes swimming in Burbage brook. Ticks will be awarded, on photographic evidence , to anyone who goes into a pool with their shoulders under water. No extra points for wellies, but judges whim points may be awarded for glamour, stupid hats etc.

More about the North Less evening bit tomorrow night.

Elen

*I have heard that a member/s has/have imported ticks from Scotland especially for this occasion, under EU livestock regs I am afraid that this is verboten and will lead to disqualification or worse.

vanda boyd
    Participant

ROAD CLOSURE FROM HATHERSAGE. We drove to Burbage yesterday and there were signs advising no through road to HATHERSAGE. Diversions were in place so some of you may be affected and need extra time to avoid missing the start of this extravaganza!

Dick Murton
    Participant

This is what they have called the Fiddlers Elbow road, which runs from the main road between Fox House and Hathersage. You learn something new about the place all the time.

mary reape
    Keymaster

Cycling Tick Challenge – routes for everyone.
    11 miles Plantation, Bamford, Hathersage, Hathersage Booths, Burbage North and return to Plantation.
    17 miles Plantation, Bamford, Hathersage, Fox House, Norfolk Arms and back to Plantation
    22 miles Plantation, Thornhill, Aston, Hathersage, Grindleford, Fox House, Norfolk Arms and return to Plantation.
    Build up the appetite for the picnic and top up on energy for afternoon walk and/or climb
    Photos of route on website.

vanda boyd
    Participant

Road closure. Been out to Stanage this evening. The bit of road closed is the section alongside Higgar Tor, which has a bulldozer parked there tonight. Stanage from Sheffield and North Lee’s from Hathersage are accessable.
    Paul.

Elen Rees
    Participant

Sat night camping
    the activities will finish off at North Lees campsite from about 5pm. We are not allowed charcoal bbq so I suppose gas fired ones are good. Bring food to share and evidence of your doings.

We have only one pitch, I have booked for 8 people. Non overnighting people are very welcome to come for the shared meal and prize-giving but the campsite has asked non stayers not to park at the campsite (there is parking by the public loos up the hill) and also to put a donation in the Mend Our Mountains collection tin in the campsite. I also said that the revelry will be over by c 8.30-9pm..

Motor homes and caravans are not allowed and campervans need to park away from the camping area. We have one large party tent, a gas bbq and some double burners. To help plan, please can you text / email me if you think you are coming and if you would like to stay. Owners of gas BBqs are extra welcome.

We might try and set up a slack line and there may be some other games which don’t involve falling off anything .

Elen
    07411 282 370

Elen Rees
    Participant

Re Culmulative totals

As I am in awe of Gemma’s plans for the weekend, I have unilaterally decided to extend the culmulative walking and cycling miles and climbing metres until end of play until close of play Sunday. .Let me know on Monday
    51 miles of walking , 151 miles of cycling and 501metres of climbing. With Gemma, Dovestones Tor and Sean’s walk, the climbing and the walking are probably sorted.

All miles and meters can be done anywhere in the world.

Good Luck Gemma, send us your miles and we will forward you some ticks!! (Kial, can you pass the message on!)

mary reape
    Keymaster

Routes can be seen on messageboard on the website

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Do we organise ourselves into teams at 10.00 at the plantation? I think I could… do the medium cycle circuit, stopping on the way near the end of the circuit at Burbage for a plunge, then do some climbing there (ideally all seconding someone), then over to Stanage to do more climbing.- again anyone need a second. (does a swim training session in the evening count as another plunge).
    Dawn

Elen Rees
    Participant

Dawn
    Yes – organise into teams at 10.00am would be good . Although I cant guarantee everyone will be as energetic as you. There will be extra ticks for people who do all four activities.
    Yes swim training session counts as extra, but you may be deducted points for not BBQing (that’ll be a matter for a judge’ s huddle) . See you Saturday

Everyone – As well as items already mentioned, It may be an idea to bring:
    A chair for the BBQ
    Something to write with
    Something to take photos with
    If that same something takes sound recordings then that’s good too
    A Map of the area taking in North Lees, Stanage, Burbage Valley and Hathersage.

Other things:
    Back at campsite for 5,30 – otherwise ticks will be removed
    Charles is coming for BBQ only – others also welcome to join.
    Parking for those not staying is at the Stanage Plantation car park (by the loos). There is a footpath cut through back down to the campsite. Follow the path down to North Lees then go though a small gate marked private into a wood and follow path.

See you then.

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

Today we climbed Mt Pez in the Dolomites 2563m asl. For the day: distance 23·6km; ascent 1340m. Andy & Rosy.

Elen Rees
    Participant

Cumulative totals

So far along with the cycling and the walking at Tick Fest we have had some other contributions to the total walked, climbed, cycled.

Gemma ran as part of a team in a 125 mile race. She ran 35 miles, had three hours sleep and ate her body weight in food.

Pete did the Welsh 3000ers. Climbing 14 peaks over 900m and covering 33miles.

Andy and Rosie (see above) .

Tina also went for a cycle ride on Saturday.

Bill said that the Sunday Climbers climbed 312m of climbs .

So without the totals for Saturday’s climbing and Sunday’s walking – and any other contributions – the totals stand at:

Climbing 312m Target 501
    Walking 128 miles . Target 51
    Cycling – 140 miles. Target 151

This excludes Andy, Rosie and Pete’s ascents

You stars.

Elen Rees
    Participant

Meet report.
    A mixed day of enormous effort and some chilled relaxation on a very hot day.

The prize for effort goes to Linda and David who climbed 10 climbs, the initial letter of the climbs spelling out Tickety Boo. They also wore bikini bottoms on their heads. Strangely Julian was not too embarrassed to climb with them. They were joined by another super duo Kari and Dawn who cycled, swam and climbed (7 routes I think). This team surely won for their massive effort. They were joined by silent partner Charles.

A mixed team of cyclists, walkers, swimmers and a climber, Chris, Bill, Marianne, Marian and Sean probably got more on points, but the scoring system was so (deliberately) complicated it was impossible to tell.

Andrew and Ali brought along Lisa (fresh blood) and did good too, cycling and leading a breakaway swimming group to the lovely Barbrook Reservoir .

An evening BBQ where I failed at trying to engineer equal points for all, but John saved the day with his quick quiz where Charles showed his knowledge of Mountains. Then a quick round of stick the blood clot on the tick (Sean was best) before bed.

Big thanks to Kathy and John for tent and tea and all things practical , Mary for the bike ride plans and tick sheets, and Vanda and Paul for the loan of the gas bbq.

Thank you everyone for taking part and a great social, Chris I hope you haven’t suffered after your impromptu dip into Burbage brook

Big PS. Ali launched the Presidential Challenge. More later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.