Thursday walk report, Nov 28th ’19

Home Forums Messages click here Thursday walk report, Nov 28th ’19

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Crowther
    Keymaster

Seven members managed to get to the start at More Hall dam by 11am. Whether we lost any more because of the Yorkshire Water crews digging and refilling potholes along the lane I do not know, but no more cars were visible when we crossed the dam after delaying the start for 5 mins.
    A flat walk along the dam side (with a stop for a quick game of Pooh sticks at an inflowing stream) took us to the dam of Broomhead reservoir, then a short stretch beside that water led to the start of our ascent out of the valley through Fox Hill Wood and Poggs Wood. Some garments were removed and we puffed up the path to a coffee stop just before Walker Edge. A short walk along the road led to a path up to the old quarries and a subsequent descent via Spout House Farm and Bentleholme. A well-saturated field led to a stile into the wood of Glen Howe park, in which we took a lunch stop at a large roofed shelter – which was appreciated because the rain was now steady. Heading down through the park we looked at the old packhorse bridge from New Mill crossing, removed and rebuilt here when the reservoirs were constructed, then at a stone carving of a kingfisher. A further benefit of the park were the loos on the way out, appreciated by two female members, though I was told that it was pitch dark inside…..
    From the park the old track of Storth Lane took us to Brightholmlee and a path through the woods back down to the reservoir and our cars.
    Just over 7 miles, with about 1200 feet of ascent. It would be a nice walk with good views on a dry day when the clouds were higher. Anyhow, I think that we all enjoyed it. Thanks to those who came and apologies if anyone did miss out because of the unexpected road works.
    Dave C

David Crowther
    Keymaster

Lunch in the dry!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.