Thursday walk report, 16 th March, 2023.

Home Forums Messages click here Thursday walk report, 16 th March, 2023.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Hazel Laddiman
    Participant

Twelve intrepid explorers set off from Eyam, undeterred by the threat of more wet stuff and the prospect of loads a mud….
    There were branches down and further evidence of recent snow and wind damage as we navigated a way through the woods, up onto the edge. We walked past and probably over Ladywash mine, stopping to enjoy the view across Eyam moor, sheltering behind a drystone wall for coffee break.

Turning left before Stoke Ford and following the path above a fast flowing Bretton Brook, up Bretton Clough, we stopped to enjoy lunch around a welcome bench.. Walking along the edge of Bretton moor, we joined the Bretton-Eyam road, and passing through the children’s charity Wooden spoon funded farm project, descended through the woods on Eyam Edge, past Black hole mine, and the fluorspar fine grindings mill to Little Swallet waterfall. Three enthusiastic members of the group slid down to experience the waterfall in all its post- snow glory at close range, while others went ahead along a greenway path to join the path across the fields back to Eyam.

Twelve walkers returned safely, none mislaid down a mine shaft or swallet (an opening through which a stream disappears underground). Phew!
    Thank you as always for cheery company and good banter.

Photo of a young man rising to the challenge of refusing to use the stile, preferring to nip though an impossibly small gap between the wall and the gate…challenge also achieved by two equally nimble female members of the group 👏🏼

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.