Sunday walk 12th June-Report

Home Forums Messages click here Sunday walk 12th June-Report

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    mike doyle
    Participant

Having read Simon’s climbing report I can only add that the conditions were more suited to walking too! However when I ,as meet leader, arrived at Lineacre Reservoir I found one other member only-so we set out “a deux”.
    Initially there were odd spots of rain filtering through the trees,but after the preliminaries and we reached the main road the spots of rain became a deluge which continued for the next 2 hours as we ploughed through fields of wet long grass and climbed gingerly over slippery wooden stiles and negotiated slippery mud banks.
    There no anglers at the fish ponds in Barlow and, in fact, we encountered no other walkers all day.
    By lunch,however, the rain had stopped.We continued past Cartledge Hall and traversed below Holmesfield before reaching the Cordwell valley floor.Fighting our way through the vegetation we began the steady climb through Meekfield Wood and so onto Barlow Grange.By this point the clouds had lifted enough to allow us to enjoy distant views to Chesterfield in the south and to Owler Bar and beyond in the north.
    Our waterproofs had long since been been discarded and our damp clothes were largely dry as we descended past Birley farm and then followed the valley back to Lineacre where a group of frisky bullocks gave chase.
    Undaunted we continued into the woods and were back at the cars for 5.30p.m.
    An enjoyable day in tranquil countryside and deep conversation.
    Mike

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.