Sunday 2 April Roaches

Home Forums Messages click here Sunday 2 April Roaches

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gordon riley
    Participant

Meet at the car park by the tea room GR007 612 at 9 30 am.. This is in the field just next to the tea room and almost opposite the campsite. The cost is £2 to park all day.

The day will be in 2 parts. The first will be a scramble on Hen Cloud followed by scrambling on or around the spine of the Roaches. using both upper and lower tiers. Some of this involves some crawling between boulders etc. all of the above can easily be bypassed if people wish without loosing touch with the group as a whole.

Since some crawling is involved I would strongly advise bringing a helmet. If you haven’t got one helmets can be borrowed from the club just let me know a day or 2 in advance so I can pick one up.
    Please note this is NOT the activity for your best new shiny Gore tex as it may get dirty, instead use older gear you are not that bothered about

The second part of the day will be a walk over the skyline area to Roach End returning by Blackbank farm and over the coll between Hen Cloud and the Roaches. distance approx 7 miles in total
    We pass close to 2 air crash sites which we may visit if people want to. This would involve a detour of 100meters

should be an interesting , fun and varied day. see you there, if you need a helmet let me know

Richard Pegram
    Participant

Is anyone going on this who could give me a lift? I’ve pulled a back.muscle and would sooner not drive. In return I can entertain you with my witty repartee!

Kathy Burgess
    Participant

I can offer a lift if you can get to Hathersage.
    Another space available to anyone else who can get to Hathersage or Grindleford

Richard Pegram
    Participant

Yes, thanks. Hathersage is no problem What time and queue?

Richard Pegram
    Participant

⁹should read what time and where

gordon riley
    Participant

five of us enjoyed what all agreed had been a brilliant day. weather continuing to improve from overcast to bright , warm sunshine with dry rock. lots of fun with small crawling challenges and scrambling on Hen Cloud and both lower and upper tiers of The Roaches,. The “torpedo tube” was specially enjoyed and lots of photos taken. views from the Skyline area were spectacular. lots of birdsong very much in evidence and thanks Richard P for identifying them.

The walk along the valley from Roach End produced a bit of mudnesss which needed a bit of care. We visited the crash sites of a Lancaster and later a German Junkers JU88. both were large bombers but little wreckage remains.

Return back to the cars was via the coll between Hen Cloud and The Roaches.

A couple of us took up Bill s kind invite for a coffee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.