Standage Tunnel

Home Forums Messages click here Standage Tunnel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Hugh Dowling
    Participant

Hello

A Sunday walk incorporating some industrial heritage is being planned. A boat trip through the Standage Tunnel from Marsden to Diggle then walking back to Marsden over the moors.

For those who have not heard of it:: it’s the longest, highest deepest canal tunnel in Britain. It is 3.2 miles long and 640 feet below the highest surface point and it took 2500 navies; of whom at least 50 were killed, 17 years to build. ( It was only supposed to take 5 and suffered with some interesting and challenging technical difficulties AKA cock-ups) Work began in 1794 and finished in 1811, four years before the battle of Waterloo. Even by modern standards it is an impressive piece of engineering.

The date we are looking at is Sunday 1st September. The boat leaves Marsden at 10.00 AM and Takes 2 1/2 hours. Dogs are not allowed.

The cost is £22.50 per person or £25.00 if you want a taxi from Diggle back to Marsden. Also cars can be left at Diggle. The walk back is approximately 7-10 miles

I appreciate that September seems along way off but I need to book it soon. So if you are interested and want your name on the list please get in touch ASAP

NB this is still in the planning stage, costs and dates may change

Regards

Hugh

Chris Lunn
    Participant

Sounds a great day out Hugh out myself and jo down for this one

Chris Lunn

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.