Slide Show this Thurs (3 Jan): Kanchenjunga Adventures

Home Forums Messages click here Slide Show this Thurs (3 Jan): Kanchenjunga Adventures

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John Barnard
    Participant

I will be giving a slide show lecture this Thursday evening (3 Jan) at the clubroom, describing a trek which Hugh and I (among others) did in eastern Nepal in 2016, visiting the north and south base camps of Kanchenjunga (8586m), the third highest mountain in the world. To put it into context I will be adding some material about the early explorers whose footsteps we followed in (including Sir Joseph Hooker in 1848, the “Pundits” in the 1880s, and Douglas Freshfield in 1899), early attempts to climb the mountain (Aleister Crowley in 1905, Harold Raeburn in 1920 and Frank Smythe in 1930) and the first successful ascents of the major routes by parties led by Sir Charles Evans (1955), Col. Narendra Kumar (1977) and Doug Scott (1979).

Start time: 8.0pm. I understand that the clubroom screen was cleaned in a perilous mountaineering adventure just before Christmas, so we can look forward to high-definition images.

John Barnard
    Participant

Just a quick reminder that my “Kangchenjunga Adventures” slide show will be taking place at the clubroom at 8.0pm tonight. See you there!
    JB

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.