Report on Thursday 1st April walk

Home Forums Messages click here Report on Thursday 1st April walk

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    vanda boyd
    Participant

Perhaps it was fortunate that the earlier brilliant hot weather had been replaced by a decidedly chilly start to April, as there was then space in the laybys for all the cars of the 17 members who attended this first official Thursday walk after easing of the third lockdown. Mike, who had kindly volunteered as a second leader, soon left with his group, taking the clockwise direction of the planned walk. I then set off with my group taking the anticlockwise route, later followed at a distance by Linda, the third volunteer leader, in her group of 6. Our group had a brief stop for an early coffee at the first stone circle and cairn, and Linda showed us another second stone circle nearby, not marked on my map. Then easy walking to Ramsley reservoir, now sadly drained [very happy memories of swimming in it in the early 1990’s] where we passed Mike’s group coming from the opposite direction [reassuring to know that they were still on the correct route!]. Our group stopped for an early lunch out of the wind behind the dam wall, before a short section of road walking, and then the track heading northwards, east of Ramsley Moor, passing the others now having their lunch. As promised, the track became extremely muddy with mini diversions required, before leading to the gentle climb, past a number of blue plastic pheasant feeders, across the main road and shortly back to our cars. The 6 miles had been carefully planned to allow a gentle and manageable walk for everyone, whatever their fitness, and everyone did complete it. Thank you to the two volunteer meet leaders and to everyone else for coming along, and making such a great start towards a return to some normal life once more.
    Vanda Boyd

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.