Reminder for Thursday Walks meet leaders

Home Forums Messages click here Reminder for Thursday Walks meet leaders

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Rosy Smith
    Participant

Thursday Walks are continuing to be enjoyed but there is a growing concern that we are losing sight of the reason for the walks’ existence. The original purpose was to provide short walks at a moderate pace for club members recovering from an illness, or suffering from various aches and pains and creaky joints or slowing up due to increasing age who want to walk with friends in the Peak District.

The walks have been vey popular and a large number of members have taken part and many have also volunteered to lead walks. However over recent months the walks have become consistently longer and the pace has become quicker. As a result some members feel they can no longer participate. This is a great shame as we should be encouraging all to enjoy a sociable walk.

As the co-ordinater of the Thursday Walks I feel that we need to re- establish the original aims. I would therefore like to remind walk leaders that walks should be between 5 and 8 miles in length and I would like to suggest that we should have at least one shorter walk each month of 5 to 6 miles. Also as some members on the walk do suffer from various health and mobility problems leaders need to bear this in mind and set a pace that is suitable for those participating on any particular day and discourage others from racing ahead.

It is important that walk leaders give accurate information about their planned walks. Information needs to be about the route and the total distance as well as the starting point. We do need a variety of walks – a variety of lengths and terrain. With accurate information members can then decide if the walk is for them or not.

I am happy to discuss this on future walks but will not be around for the next walk as I will be walking the Dales Way. I want the Thursday Walks to be inclusive and be enjoyed by all those who find they can no longer take part in fast paced long walks but still enjoy walking with club members on short gentle paced walks. The club organises Sunday Walks for those wanting a longer and faster paced walk. It is possible for members to take part in both Thursday and Sunday Walks but please remember they have different aims and objectives and should not become the same.

Rosy

Rosy Smith

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.