Remembering Mary Peace, who died recently

Home Forums Messages click here Remembering Mary Peace, who died recently

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vanda boyd
    Participant

Many club members will remember Mary Peace, who died aged 98 years old, on 29th November 2021 [her husband Pat died in 2011]
    I have sent this – ‘Memories of Mary Peace’ – to her son Simon, on behalf of the Castle Club , with a covering email including my own personal memories of both Mary and Pat, and our friendship over many years.
    ‘Memories of Mary Peace.
    Mary Peace joined the Castle Mountaineering Club in 1969, alongside her husband Pat. This was just 2 years after the formation of the club. They were both very active members over many years, certainly well into the 1990’s. Mary was Vice-President, and then President in 1979. She contributed a chapter in the ‘The Castle’ 21st anniversary book entitled ‘Pillow on Pillar’, recounting a 6am start and mass benightment of 6 members on Pillar Rock, and subsequent rescue in the early hours. Quite a lady; indeed she is certainly recognisable in the ‘Hard women’ drawn in the same book.
    One of the earlier established traditions, which is now no more, was the annual SACC [Sheffield Association of Climbing Clubs] race around the Burbage valley, which Pat and Mary helped co-ordinate and guide runners to the finish, a welcome sight for those who only ran once a year!! Mary continued, along with Pat, to attend Castle meets, perhaps at a less energetic level, but was always ready to chat, offer advice and to try and rein in Pat as he continued to push the boundaries. She was rather put out when Pat climbed a Severe for his 80th birthday. Later still, Mary welcomed members to their house in Grindleford, where many a cuppa was consumed.
    She will be missed by all who knew her, one of the stalwarts of the club. ‘

Russ Clare
    Participant

Thanks for that, Vanda. Your post reinforces our own fond memories of Mary and Pat.
    Russ and Lynne

Mike Griffiths
    Participant

That’s a lovely post – I have a happymemory of Pat Peace climbing Heather Wall at Froggatt – an inspirational couple

gordon riley
    Participant

That was a really nice tribute to Mary. i also have very good memories of mar and pat

Gordon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.