Patterdale latest

Home Forums Messages click here Patterdale latest

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    vanda boyd
    Participant

We hope to be at the hut by 2.30 – 3pm on Friday to open up.

There is still a space if anybody wants to come. Possibly 2.

See previous posts re Saturday communal meal.
    I will collect hut fees Saturday evening.
    See you there.
    Cheers
    Paul and Vanda.

Steve Leather
    Keymaster

Will Storm Dennisv deter anyone this weekend?

John Hutch
    Participant

Pete and I are thinking of Kendal wall on Saturday

Chris Lunn
    Participant

Myself and jo are undeterred and open to ideas if the weather forecast is right Kendal wall could be a great idea 😁

Elen Rees
    Participant

It depends, I’ll look at forecast nearer the time. If the animals back home are at risk I will stay at home. But will pay whatever.
    Shame I was looking forward
    After Dennis the next is Storm Ellen (spelt wrong).

vanda boyd
    Participant

Hopefully everybody makes it to Patterdale OK, but Elen brings up a good point in that we are committed to pay almost £500 for the weekend so anybody dropping out at the last minute will be required to pay their hut fee as usual.
    I’m sure this naming of storms seems to make them feel worse, it used to be called winter weather!!

Russ Clare
    Participant

As a regular attendee on winter Lakes meets there’s a weary familiarity to Saturday’s forecast, so I checked my records back to 2014 to be sure. Notes on Saturday’s weather for six meets (Jan and March 2014; missed 2015) are all made up of combinations of the following: warm, wet, windy, cold, clag, soft wet snow! Hey, ho.

vanda boyd
    Participant

Russ, you’re not going back far enough!!
    1980’s, blue skies, crisp snow, ascents of Striding Edge in full winter conditions, gully climbs followed by cheap beer and fish and chips. 😊😊😊❄️❄️❄️🍺🍺🍺🍺

Russ Clare
    Participant

Indeed, those were the days – beer at fourpence a quart, winter sunburn, a gentle breeze blowing through my hair ……..

John Barnard
    Participant

Those planning to drive to Patterdale this weekend via th A1/Scotch Corner/A66 route may want to take into account that there is a planned closure of the A66 between Scotch Corner and Rokeby from 9pm Friday 14 February until 6am Monday 17 February.

I was alerted to this in a recent FRCC news item, but details are at https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/a66-east-layton-to-west-layton/

Last weekend’s planned closure was actually cancelled due to Storm Ciara making it unsafe to proceed with the roadworks, and Dennis might have a similar effect this weekend (or close the road in its own right, as well as cancelling the roadworks).

Have fun those who are going – I well remember the one glorious winter weekend of the mid 1980s, with a mass ascent of Nethermost Gully in perfect condtions, and the years of wet, windswept ascents of Place Fell that followed it. Not to mention the grumpy Scottish landlord at the White Lion (now moved on, I assume). I will stick to strugging across the Snake on Saturday night to hear some Beethoven at Bridgewater Hall.

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

I couldn’t resist chipping in. It was 25th January 1986. Here is the account from my log:
    “25 Jan. Brilliant day. Best in the Lake District for some time. Bright, sunny, clear, no wind, warm for January. Fair bit of snow on the tops. Good crampon snow, icy in places. Wore crampons virtually all day. Not enough for skiing. With John Barnard, Frank & Jennifer, Andrew Hindmoor, Mark Robinson, Simon Cook. Striding Edge, at the end descending into Nethermost Cove. Up Nethermost Gully. Enjoyable but quite easy snow, a little soft. Two interesting ice pitches. Steepest at the top but no cornice. Up to Helvellyn summit (crowded). Lunch. Simon and Mark stayed to do another gully. Helvellyn Lower Man. Ridge walking to Whiteside. Excellent view: Galloway, Lake District Peaks, Cross Fell, Ingleborough. On to Raise, Stybarrow Dodd, Watson’s Dodd. Retraced to Stybarrow Dodd admiring views on the way. Greenside. John stayed to photograph the sunset. The rest of us to Hartside and back. Down to Nick Head, then down the path to the lead mine. Back to Glenridding in full moonlight. Both pubs shut!”
    Have a nice weekend. Andy

Steve Leather
    Keymaster

After a lot of umming and aahing, I’ve decided to bail too. Sorry.

Whilst i’m not ill (for a change!), I’m worried about transport home. The MetOffice amber warning (ie nearly guaranteed flooding) has just been extended to the whole of the Yorkshire Dales, including Otley. Unfortunately, I still work and am going to a client on Monday so have to be able to get back. Also, we have a bit of a roof leak at home which hasn’t been fixed yet and is likely to leak again this weekend.

I’m ready to pay my £24 hut fee into the CMC bank account once it’s been confirmed that that is the right place!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.