Have your say, climbers, re summer evening meets.

Home Forums Messages click here Have your say, climbers, re summer evening meets.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Linda McLeish
    Participant

Having spoken to the meets secretary, we feel that the topic of evening meets in the summer needs further discussion. So, would you like a regular Wednesday or would you prefer to continue with alternating Tues and Wed? There are arguments for and against. Please let us know what you think, intially on the messageboard. It will be an item on the AGM, where the climbers can vote on it. If you have a preference and are unable to attend the AGM get someone to vote for you. Cheers Linda

vanda boyd
    Participant

To start this topic off, here’s why the club has ALWAYS alternated between Tuesdays and Wednesdays for evening meets:
    1. Fairness. To allow people who may have work or other commitments on Tuesdays or Wednesdays to have at least a chance of participating once a fortnight, sticking to one night prevents this. This can also be very useful when trying to attract new members who are already committed to other activities during the week.
    2. Flexibility. Alternating between Tues & Weds allows for gaps between CMC ‘happenings’. For instance, Tuesday night climbing before away meets has been a way of preventing congestion of events. Without it, there would have been many instances of ”Weds climbing, Thurs club night event, Friday travelling to away meet.” Conversely Weds climbing after an away meet helps to ‘spread the load’ a bit.

I realise that having alternative nights means that people have to check each week what night the climbing is, but that’s what meets lists are for and anyway, participants have to check which crag is listed. Surely with todays modern communications, smartphones with reminders etc, its not difficult to check? Or resort to actually having a meets list pinned in a prominent position? Having said that, maybe we should put out a weekly reminder via messageboard/Facebook each week regarding the midweek meets?

This topic has been raised because of poor attendances on midweek meets this year, so perhaps we need to look at reasons why. I can’t believe that after 49 years of alternating midweek meets that this is a major cause.

Paul Gibson. Meets Secretary.

gordon riley
    Participant

This is clearly a difficult issue as there are reasonable arguments on both sides.

I feel however that the decisions taken in the past to alternate between Tues and weds were taken for good reasons as outlined by Paul. I feel that these reasons are still entirely valid and would suggest leaving things as they are would be the best thing to do

Gordon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.