Ecton Mine Sat 18th Nov

Home Forums Messages click here Ecton Mine Sat 18th Nov

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bill boley
    Participant

Hello
    The club has a guided trip down Ecton Copper Mine, Manifold Valley booked. The area has been mined for copper since Bronze age times to the end of the 19th Century. One of the Dukes of Devonshire made a pile of money – enough to build the Crescent in Buxton.
    The trip will be led by a member of the Ecton Mines Educational Trust – who are really knowledgable about the mine’s history and the geology.
    When we went before we had a morning and an afternoon trip. Both were untechnical and I think that there are also other places to explore.
    The morning’s visit went down some v. easy non steep, short fixed ladders (belaying definitely not needed) to explore some fairly dry passageways and to look down on to flooded shafts. There was some insitu machinery and lots of mineral deposits on the walls. It was mostly walking , there may have been some stooping/crawling but nothing signifiant.
    In the afternoon we walked along a adit – knee level water for the shortest people – to an open area which use to house an engine.
    There is also a very interesting educational room with lots of history, photographs, etc of the mine. I
    The price last year was £5.00 per head.

Let me know if you would like to come along. Also let me know if you would like to come for the whole day (c10-3.30pm) or just the morning / afternoon. Let me know any questions you have about the technicality of the trip and I will get some answers if I can’t answer them myself. There are limited places, so do let me know if you are interested. If there is not sufficient interest from Castle members we will open it up to others. The Ecton mine guide is a volunteer and will be giving up her/his Saturday so I want to make sure it is worthwhile.

You will need wellies / stout boots, / helmet&light and grotty clothes/overalls/caving oversuits. You may be able to borrow a helmet from them – but Bill had lots too.

Elen

gordon riley
    Participant

Hi Ellen

I m up for this. I helped take a group of kids there earlier this year and was very impressed. It seems from your description there is more to it than we saw. I would be interested in both morning and afternoon trip but happy to fit in with others.

When we went they did give out helmets and lights.

Gordon

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.