Crowden Scramble Meet Report

Home Forums Messages click here Crowden Scramble Meet Report

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Milne
    Keymaster

The day started well with bright sunny weather and a general consensus that the weather forecasters had go it right with a prediction for an Indian Summer. We were lucky to have Tom Corker with us who pioneered much of the route for the day. After an hour and approximately two-thirds of the way on to Kinder Edge the 13 strong group, plus Scout the dog, were enjoying themselves, trying out the odd bouldering problem and edging around various rock pools.

However it is fair to say that no one could have predicted the events to come. The words “look well to each step” should be ones to heed! A simple slip on a wet stone and a minor fall can certainly hamper many plans. And that’s exactly what happened to yours truly. A bent wrist was dealt with swiftly. A makeshift splint from Nigel’s folding sit mat and some gaffer tape from JB’s walking sticks proved excellent first aid items. I will never question those extra “just in case” items again. After a bit of gear swapping and with the limb stabilised, a decision was made for some of us to walk back down to the cars. This journey was slow and uncomfortable but manageable. The outcome, after a visit to A&E was a dislocated and fractured left wrist, which is now in a purple pot.!!! I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who helped me and apologies for cutting the day short for some of you. With all the team work, compassion and concern shown, I know why I have been a member of CMC for so long.

I’m glad to report that some of the group did complete the intended route and because I was not present I will leave you with the words of JB…… The rest of us successfully completed the scramble, walked round to Grindsbrook Clough and dropped down into it before re-ascending the side gully (another excellent scramble). We then finished off by walking over Grindslow Knoll and back to the cars, which we then took to the cafe by Edale Station.

I believe that everyone returned home safely, even Dave who missed the main party after his re-ascent of the edge (mainly due to poor phone signals). THANK YOU again to everyone.

Ali

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.