Coniston Hut – 26th/27th of Jan 2024.

Home Forums Messages click here Coniston Hut – 26th/27th of Jan 2024.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Nichols
    Participant

Coniston – 26th/27th of Jan 2024.

We have booked the Barrow mountaineering & Ski Club hut at Coniston for the w/e 26th/27th of Jan 2024.
    https://bmasc.org.uk/cottage/ Leon is leading the meet.

The cost is £20per night per person. To book please transfer £40 to the Castle account, with Coniston and your name as your details. There is up to 14 places. It wouild help if you could let Leon know you are going at the same time.

Coppermines Cottage is a former stables and mining officers cottage in Coppermines Valley S.S.S.I. and a perfect base to from which to explore the Coniston fells.
    There is a large fully equipped kitchen and dining area . The kitchen contains a commercial cooker and hob, microwave, fridges and small freezer. Pots, pans, tableware and cutlery are provided but please bring washing up materials. Also on the ground floor are the drying room with dehumidifier, two toilets and two showers. Upstairs there are 3 bunk rooms sleeping 4, 4, and 6 respectively on alpine style bunks. There are mattresses and pillows but please bring your own sleeping bags. Heating is by electric storage heaters throughout the building which can be supplemented with the woodburning stoves in the dining area and common room. Wood, firelighters and matches are not provided but are available from the garage in Coniston. The hot water system is powered by a gas boiler.
    The cottage is situated in the Coppermines Valley next to YHA Coniston Coppermines, less than a mile north west of Coniston village. The track up from Coniston village has a gravel surface but is easily driven up in most cars. Sat Nav can get you almost there but for the last bit it’s worth looking for the YHA. The address is:
    Barrow Mountaineering and Ski Club Hut
    Coppermines Valley
    Coniston
    Cumbria
    LA21 8HX

leon dowling
    Participant

As the New Year approaches its time to fill your new diaries with all the exciting meets Starting with Coniston 26th/27th January.
    All details are in Geoff’s previous post. If you intend to go, could you please let me know and pay your money yo the CMC account directly.
    We are half full at the moment so don’t wait too long.
    We could do so some sort of communal curry, Paella etc on the Saturday.
    Volunteers to lead the cooking are welcome or Me & Josie could do the curry and bits we did last year in Rhyd-ddu with everybody’s
    assistance.
    Will put out another post with details of hut entry and catering arrangements nearer the time.
    Wishing everybody a happy and safe New Year.
    Leon & Josie

leon dowling
    Participant

Hi All,
    There are still a few places available for the Coniston Hut meet.
    If you would like to join us, Please pay your hut fees into the CMC account and let me know.

For those of you attending and would like to be part of the communal evening meal on Saturday, the menu is
    poppadoms with dips
    Onion Bhaji with a yogurt and mint sauce.

Sesame Chicken or Quorn with chapatti. This is a tasty Indian dish and is not to hot in taste.
    Could you all bring a long a portion of chicken or Quorn say 150g PP and a couple of medium onion each.

We will bring the rest of the ingredients.
    If anyone can bring any firewood and fire lighters, that would be great.
    We will need to take all our rubbish home with us.
    See you all there.
    Leon & Josie

Paul Embley
    Keymaster

Because of a family illness, unfortunately Leon and Josie won’t be able to make the Coniston meet this weekend. I have volunteered to take over Saturday night catering and I am happy to supply ingredients and cook a vegan paella. Can you message me if you would be up for this option or if you would prefer to cater for yourself?
    Paul E

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.