Christmas Lunch Walk 21st.December

Home Forums Messages click here Christmas Lunch Walk 21st.December

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Peter Hammond
    Participant

Park at the Fox House roadside parking GR:- 267803 or alternatively at the National Trust car park at Longshaw
    GR:-267803
    Our route will be the same as last year thus:-
    Totley Moor, Trig point at 395m, Barbrook Bridge, Lady’s Cross, White Edge, White Edge Lodge, Grouse P.H.,
    Longshaw Estate, Fox House.
    I will lead the walk to the Grouse and then members can return to the Fox House, via the Longshaw Estate
    whenever they wish.
    Total miles is 6 split 4 to the Grouse, 2 back to the Fox House.
    As in previous years you will shortly be able to make your meal choice once I have received the Christmas menu from the Grouse. It will be posted under this message on the Message Board.
    Looking forward to seeing you all and fingers crossed we again get some snow!
    Pete

Peter Hammond
    Participant

Please note the menu for the Christmas Lunch is now on the message board under the route detail
    sent out on the 23rd November. In addition to menu there will be a Turkey dinner at £18 plus a Christmas
    pudding at £6.50.
    Can you kindly send your menu choice to my phone 07468 697805 by WhatsApp so as not to clog up the
    walking WhatsApp group messages. You can also email me direct on pham601051@aol.com
    To give the Grouse time to organize our lunches can you ensure you let me have your choice no later than
    “close of play” on Tuesday 12th December.
    I am not sure whether the “Ginger Frogs” are still at Barbrook Bridge. We will just have to see if they’re there
    on the day!
    As per our usual custom Christmas attire is mandatory. Also by tradition a carol will be sung prior to our
    departure from the Fox House.
    Look forward to seeing you all on the 21st December.
    Pete

Peter Hammond
    Participant

A reminder for those of you intending to do the Christmas walk and haven’t given me your lunch order yet.
    Can you please let me have your choice by “close of play” next Tuesday 12th December.
    To respond either email me on pham601051@aol.com or WhatsApp me on 07468 697805.
    Pete

Peter Hammond
    Participant

Hi All,
    For those of you lunching at the Grouse next Thursday 21st. If you are not intending to do
    the walk from the Fox House to the Grouse over Totley Moor etc. can you kindly let me know by text on 07468 697805 or email me on pham601051@aol.com.
    Many thanks.
    Pete

Peter Hammond
    Participant

Hi again,
    In view of the large number of people walking from the Fox House to the Grouse over Totley Moor
    next Thursday, it seems sensible to not go as one huge group so we don’t all arrive at the Grouse at the same time.
    So we’ll split into 3 groups viz “Slow” “Medium” and “Fast”
    I’m hopeful we can all take coffee etc. together at Barbrook Bridge, at approx. 12 midday, after which the groups will naturally space out.
    Timings thus from the Roadside Parking adjacent to the Fox House:-
    Carol singing at 10.40
    Slow Group leaves at 10.45
    Medium Group leaves at 11.00
    Fast Group leaves at 11.10
    Don’t forget your Christmas hats etc.!
    Pete

Peter Hammond
    Participant

High winds are forecast for Thursday (The Met Office gives a Yellow Warning of Windy Conditions)
    As our proposed route over Totley Moor and White Edge is quite exposed I have done a recce/risk assessment
    on a more sheltered route today. There is still an element of risk due to some tree branches breaking off plus walking conditions could be or will be difficult against the wind.
    The route noted below probably has less than 10% tree cover and does have the plus point of a sheltered stone building for an early coffee break. Underfoot most of the paths are more “track like” especially after exiting the top of Padley Gorge.
    So for those of you that wish to brave the elements the route is:-
    Fox House roadside parking, Footbridge below Burbage Bridge, Stone Hut adjacent B6521 GR: 2585 799,
    Longshaw Lodge, Southerly track to junction with A625, Short road section to the Grouse. Return via Longshaw Estate
    and Lodge.
    We will now leave together at 11am and convene at the Stone Hut for coffee. We can then set off for the Grouse via the Lodge at whatever pace you want.
    As the walk is shorter than originally planned at approx 3 miles, leaving at 11am should mean we reach the Grouse by 12.30.
    I have accordingly advised the pub we will be there earlier so hopefully they’ll be serving food shortly after we arrive.
    For those not walking and just lunching I suggest you also arrive for 12.30.
    When ordering drinks can you please pay for your food and give your first name so the staff knows whose paid for what meal.
    PLEASE ALSO NOTE – the National Trust car park at Longshaw may be closed due to high winds. If so I’ll communicate again after I’ve spoken to the Rangers tomorrow afternoon.
    See you all Thursday.
    Pete

Peter Hammond
    Participant

Walk Report
    With some trepidation bearing in mind the very windy forecast, we drove to the roadside parking adjacent the Fox House, to discover many more cars parked than anticipated. Arriving at the bus shelter where all had gathered, I must admit “I was blown away” pardon the pun, by the fact that 25 people had congregated to support the walk.
    At 11am Gordon then lead the party off via the south side of Burbage bridge towards the stone shelter designated for an early coffee break. I eventually caught up having waited for some late arrivals who did join us at the shelter swelling our numbers to 27 plus one cockapoo.
    Having taken the traditional shot of Ginger Frog, we gave a rousing rendition of Deck the Halls.
    From the shelter we proceeded towards Longshaw Lodge and then the track south towards The Grouse thankful that the severe wind forecast was milder than expected.
    At the pub we were joined by other members increasing our numbers to 36. As usual the kitchen staff excelled with a large variety of dishes.
    Following the meal Rosy provided some facts relating to the year’s walks, the most notable of which was the fact that we had only missed one Thursday back in March due to heavy snowfall. Then Dave C read out three excellent poems relevant to mountain walking – a reading being a delightful tradition instigated by the late Sean Jennings.
    After wishing each other Merry Christmas individuals made their own way back through the Longshaw Estate to the Fox House walking into a strong wind and at times horizontal rain.
    Some thank yous are due – to Rosy for organising the walks throughout the year, Gordon for helping with the leading, to Dave C, and to the staff of the Grouse for hosting our lunch. Lastly and by no means least to all those who came braving the elements and creating another memorable Christmas lunch walk.
    Thanks again and a very Happy Christmas and an adventurous New Year to all.
    Pete and Jane
    Mike’s pic

Hazel’s pics:

David Crowther
    Keymaster

Someone wanted the words to the hacked John Masefield poem, so here are my scribblings:

”Fossil climber” (Canada) – with minor mod.

A substantial number of climbers
    Are competent limerick rhymers.
    Perhaps it’s a skill
    Of the mentally ill,
    Or early onset Alzheimer’s.

Albert Camus (1913-1960, French philosopher, dramatist, journalist, activist)

Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead.
    Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow.
    Just walk beside me, and be my friend.

Hill Fever (with thanks and apologies to Poet Laureate John Masefield 1878-1967 and his 1902 poem Sea Fever)

I must go up to the hills again, to the lonely peaks next the sky
    and all I ask is a clean line or a track to take me high
    And the rock’s rough and the way steep neath the wind’s lonely cry
    as the grey mist on the mountain top clears to a bright blue sky

I must go into the hills again, for the call of the rushing stream
    is a wild call and a clear call that may not stay unseen
    And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying
    as the hare springs o’er the open moor while the curlew’s crying

I must go into the hills again, to the wild wanderer’s life
    To the eagle’s way and the deer’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife
    And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow rover
    And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trek’s over.

Toast:

To the wild places and all who venture in them, tread softly and leave only footprints

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.