Charles' birthday visit – this Sat 16th.

Home Forums Messages click here Charles' birthday visit – this Sat 16th.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Bill boley
    Participant

Big thanks for those who got back to me , I’ve also spoken to Charles and planned a cycle ride as requested and there is now a coherent plan. Charles is very happy for people to do their own thing and to rendevous at his sign, so there are two options: 1 a bike ride and 2 a short walk with Charles.
    Then all meet at the top end of Charles Knowles Lane at 3pm .

1. A 19mile cycle ride with an option of a 3mile extension. Charles Knowles Lane (CKL) is about 15.5 miles in. The last part is a gentlish up and then a ride down Gun Hill back to the start at Meerbrook. There is a pub, The Royal Oak at Rushton Spencer just down the road from CKL where you could wait if you are too early. The ride is mainly on quiet lanes, it goes through Rudyard, there will be lovely views along Lask Edge and the option to visit a prehistoric burial chamber. Despite all the chevrons on the map I’ve planned a route where all the chevrons are pointing in the right direction.
    Meet at 12.15pm for a 12.30 start outside Meerbrook Church, where there is parking on the opposite road, and to W of church, Grid Ref: SJ 989 608. I will forward a pdf of the map to all those who contact me.
    2. A sedate Victorian walk along the dam at Rudyard Reservoir with Charles. Here you can relax, eat ice cream, take a ride on a steam train, recite “IF” (Rudyard Kipling was conceived on the shores of the reservoir), hunt for mongooses and see the start of the Cauldon Canal. It is a rather nice and gentle place and if you squint you could be somewhere wonderful in Europe .
    Meet at 1.30pm at our house (SK 023 594) to share transport or 2.00pm at Rudyard Lake car park (SJ 955 578).

We will bring something fizzy to have at the sign and everyone is welcome back for tea, crumpets and cake. Parking at the lane end is not easy and is best in the lane opposite below Heaton House farm. Grid ref for the sign is SJ 943 618 – it is the top end of the lane, above Ryecroft Gate farm,

If you would like crumpet let me know if you are coming (or just turn up and bring your own). Can anyone offer Charles a lift?

Elen

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.