Bus to the Snake 19/11 meet report

Home Forums Messages click here Bus to the Snake 19/11 meet report

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Nichols
    Participant

The bus was late at Crosspool but it gave me the chance to talk to a passing stranger about all the long distance walks she’d done – recommending Hadrian’s Wall and the Wolds way. Once on the bus I met up with the Sheffield 20 – 30 walking group. I think that’s the age rather than distance of walks. Looks like a type of mating behaviour. Apparently I was not eligible to join. Due to a lack of bus drivers the bus was not going to the Snake, just Fairholmes and Hope. So I got off at Ashopton viaduct in case any other Castle members intended to meet up there. None. Put a thumb out and got the first car. The driver was an Afghan who had escaped the Taliban the first time they got into power. He has relatives in Afghanistan, but can’t visit. We discussed the plight of migrants, the Afghan cricket team (who all come from one favoured tribe) and Gaza (they just need to stop killing each other and make peace). He has an Italian restaurant on Glossop Road – I must visit. We shook hands as he dropped me at the top of the Snake. Full waterproofs needed right away. Got to Bleaklow at 11.0. Compass out to find The Ridge and indistinct paths to Alport Castles for 1.45. Bog, rain, wind, more bog. Met two other bedraggled souls making their way to Bleaklow – that was it. A bit of solitude is good for connecting with the self. After lunch, behind the first bit of shelter, made Fairholmes at 3.15. He who travels alone travels fastest. The next bus was due at 4.08, but due to diminished faith in busses and general dampness I stuck a thumb out again and got a lift to Nether Green. The driver was on a day navigation training with the Park wardens, which was cut short. I may have persuaded him to join our club. A grand day out, meeting some lovely people and confirming faith in the milk of human kindness. Looking forward to the next bus walk!

Steve Leather
    Keymaster

What a great report! A pleasure to read and well done for making something out of what sounds like a day that could have been rubbish!

John Barnard
    Participant

Hear, hear! How about instituting an annual award for the best meet report? (Does beg the question of what happens to meet reports if the communication proposals at the AGM tomorrow are agreed… I’m afraid I won’t be there!)
    I also note the unreliability of the 257 bus that’s supposed to go over the Snake on Sundays! I was talking to someone yesterday (who *would*qualify for the 20-30 walking group) who was spitting tacks about similar problems with the 272 that’s supposed to go out along Ecclesall Road to Castleton.
    JB

Russ Clare
    Participant

Agree, a brilliant report. Thanks for sharing, Geoff.

Re meet reports: why not make a collection and every so often print them out and circulate paper copies. They could be called newsletters. (sorry, so 1980s : ) )
    RC

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

At present all the Meet Reports are collected in the Meet Reports section of the website
    http://castlemountaineering.com/category/meet-reports/
    Of course this will no longer be the case if it becomes a static site as proposed in Option 2.

Yes the 272 bus service along the Hope Valley is rubbish at the moment. There have been no end of complaints on the Bradwell Facebook page (I am told).

Andy

vanda boyd
    Participant

Agree great report.
    I can guarantee you company if you come on the scramble this Sunday.
    Still have some of the 80s Newsletters Russ, good idea.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.