Aircraft Crash Sites Walk sun 27th Feb 2022

Home Forums Messages click here Aircraft Crash Sites Walk sun 27th Feb 2022

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gordon riley
    Participant

The origins of this walk come from finding out that many of our new members (and some not so new) have not seen the extensive wreck site of the Superfortress beyond Higher Shelf stones. This walk will take in this site together with 2 or possibly 3 others fairly nearby.
    After much deliberation I have decided to start this walk from the parking area at Doctors Gate GR SK 096 929. This is not a large car park so it would be good to arrive early and car share if possible. If people can’t get into this parking area there is alternative parking at Snake top slightly further up the road or on the 2 bends below Doctors Gate. I suggest meeting at 9 00am so If we need to shuttle people around we will have time to do it. I can get 3 people in my car and will be travelling from Rotherham and coming through Broomhill and Crosspool if that helps anyone. Phone No is 07811986415.
    The Route will be Doctors Gate, Higher Shelf Stones, James Thorn, Snake top, Mill Hill and return. Distance 10 miles if we visit the 4 planned crash sites, 5 miles if we miss out the last one.
    Please give me a ring if any issues

gordon riley
    Participant

Sorry folks Grid ref for Doctors Gate is 096 928

gordon riley
    Participant

Change of Plan
    It looks as though the A57 Snake Road is closed for some weeks. We will therefore not be able to get anywhere near the start point I had originally planned.

Rather than just cancel It is possible to reach where we want to be by a different although longer route
    Meet at The car park off the B6105 On the Southern bank of Torside Reservoir to the SW of Crowden. GR 068983
    At 9 00AM
    Route will be Torside Clough, Wain stones, Hern Stones, Higher Shelf stones, James Thorn and return back to Torside by similar route. We will still be able to take in the crash site of the Superfortress, and possibly 2 others close by Defiantly worth seeing if you haven’t seen it before
    Distance 17 Km approx. 12 miles

Any issues please phone 07811986415

gordon riley
    Participant

Change of Plan
    It looks as though the A57 Snake Road is closed for some weeks. We will therefore not be able to get anywhere near the start point I had originally planned.

Rather than just cancel It is possible to reach where we want to be by a different although longer route
    Meet at The car park off the B6105 On the Southern bank of Torside Reservoir to the SW of Crowden. GR 068983
    At 9 00AM
    Route will be Torside Clough, Wain stones, Hern Stones, Higher Shelf stones, James Thorn and return back to Torside by similar route. We will still be able to take in the crash site of the Superfortress, and possibly 2 others close by Defiantly worth seeing if you haven’t seen it before
    Distance 17 Km approx. 12 miles

Any issues please phone 07811986415

gordon riley
    Participant

A small select group, all 2 of us enjoyed a brilliant day over Torside and onto bleaklow. We took in 3 crash sites as planned

A really good day

Gordon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.