9/12 Christmas Walk Report

Home Forums Messages click here 9/12 Christmas Walk Report

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Peter Hammond
    Participant

For some the walk started a little earlier than originally planned as 8 of us set out from the Grouse at 9-30 – 2 electing to go to Curbar Gap via White Edge, the rest of us via Froggatt and Curbar edges. We joined 20 others members assembled at the “gap” where festivities commenced with the Christmas carol ‘Deck the Halls’. Thanks to Chris for leading the singing. With so many on the walk it gave us all a chance for a “catch up” with those we hadn’t seen for a while making it a very sociable occasion. On reaching the start of Froggart Edge our number had increased to 29, a record for a Thursday walk! Here we parted company with some who were going direct to the Grouse via the edge, the remainder descending through the wood and over trees recently blown down in the storm. From Froggatt bridge we took the Derwent heritage trail across to Grindleford bridge stopping at a delightful pool where each downed a shot of “Ginger Frog” [a mixture of ginger wine and brandy] So onwards and upwards though the pleasant Haywood to reach the Grouse. 23 of us enjoyed an excellent meal – thanks to Ali for chauffering Charles to the pub. Those not joining us inside managed to find a suitable spot outside in the sunshine for lunch. Before leaving the Grouse our vice president Lin read us a version of the Ramblers Song, in line with our recent tradition at this event of a mountaineering tale/poem. being read out. Thanks Lin. From the Grouse some returned via White Edge others by the Froggatt/Curbar route. Approx 7 miles by either route. Thanks so much to all who came and made it a wonderful start to the Christmas celebrations. You will be pleased to know we will return to the Grouse again next year on the 15th December 2022.
    Lastly can Jane and I wish all in the club an awesome Christmas and a very happy and Covid free New Year!
    Pete

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

According to ,my logbook, 29 on a Thursday walk is not a record, as there were 32 on the Christmas walk Thursday 19th December 2019:
    Andy & Rosy, Pete H, Frank & Jennifer, Dick & Lin, Rob & Freda Green, Andrew & Ali, Paul & Vanda, John P, Ian Mateer, Gavin Moore, Marian, Marianne, Hazel & Steve Laddiman, Steve & Sue W, Mike D, Mary R., Dave C, Kathy B, Sue Miller, Sue Allenby, John & Lynda Hawley, Kial Wright & Gemma Scougal. Several more joined us at the pub.

Peter Hammond
    Participant

I bow to superior knowledge Andy. I forgot we had so many on the Little John lunch walk in 2019. I believe we may have had 27 either walking or in total when we last went to the Grouse in 2018 but no doubt your logbook will give the exact number?
    Pete

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

My logbook has nothing to say about the 2018 Thursday
    Christmas walk to the Grouse, as I wasn’t there. Your meet
    report states 27.

But I can tell you that there were 27 Thursday walkers out
    on 8th August 2019. On that day there was a long walk and a
    short walk starting from the same place at the same time.
    Dick and Lin led a party of 19 on the short walk of about 6
    miles. Meanwhile 8 of us, led by Linda, did the long walk
    of about 12 miles, the second half being the same as the
    short walk. The weather was lovely: warm and sunny with no
    wind. Both parties convened at the Grouse afterwards for a
    drink/ meal. You can read the reports on the Thursday Walks
    page. Andy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.