Reply To: Christmas Lunch Walk 21st.December

Home Forums Messages click here Christmas Lunch Walk 21st.December Reply To: Christmas Lunch Walk 21st.December

Peter Hammond
Participant

Walk Report
With some trepidation bearing in mind the very windy forecast, we drove to the roadside parking adjacent the Fox House, to discover many more cars parked than anticipated. Arriving at the bus shelter where all had gathered, I must admit “I was blown away” pardon the pun, by the fact that 25 people had congregated to support the walk.
At 11am Gordon then lead the party off via the south side of Burbage bridge towards the stone shelter designated for an early coffee break. I eventually caught up having waited for some late arrivals who did join us at the shelter swelling our numbers to 27 plus one cockapoo.
Having taken the traditional shot of Ginger Frog, we gave a rousing rendition of Deck the Halls.
From the shelter we proceeded towards Longshaw Lodge and then the track south towards The Grouse thankful that the severe wind forecast was milder than expected.
At the pub we were joined by other members increasing our numbers to 36. As usual the kitchen staff excelled with a large variety of dishes.
Following the meal Rosy provided some facts relating to the year’s walks, the most notable of which was the fact that we had only missed one Thursday back in March due to heavy snowfall. Then Dave C read out three excellent poems relevant to mountain walking – a reading being a delightful tradition instigated by the late Sean Jennings.
After wishing each other Merry Christmas individuals made their own way back through the Longshaw Estate to the Fox House walking into a strong wind and at times horizontal rain.
Some thank yous are due – to Rosy for organising the walks throughout the year, Gordon for helping with the leading, to Dave C, and to the staff of the Grouse for hosting our lunch. Lastly and by no means least to all those who came braving the elements and creating another memorable Christmas lunch walk.
Thanks again and a very Happy Christmas and an adventurous New Year to all.
Pete and Jane
Mike’s pic

Hazel’s pics: