Dove stones Edge 7th Jan 2018 Meet report

10 people and 4 dogs left Cutthrout Bridge on a gloriously bright and crisp morning. The route went to Derwent Edge, Back Tor, then down to Strines Reservoir. Fun could be had stimulating the CCTV camera at Brogging End, linked to a load speaker, which confirmed we were on private property and the police had been informed. A boggy ascent to Sugworth Tower; sometimes called Boot’s Folly. Wikidedia tells us this was constructed in 1927 by Charles Boot who resided at Sugworth Hall. It was built from leftover stone when the nearby Bents House was constructed. The stone for Bents House came from local disused farms which had been demolished because they were suspected of polluting the waters in the dale. Boot’s Folly may have been constructed to provide work for Sugworth Hall’s workmen during the depression; or Boot built the tower so he could see High Bradfield churchyard where his wife, who had died in 1926, was buried. The interior originally had wood panelling and a large furnished room at the top where the Boot family could enjoy the view. There was a spiral staircase to the top, but this was removed in recent times after a cow climbed the stairs and became stuck. Apparently we missed a set of beautifully carved columns and capitals nearby. These stones are believed to have come from Brunswick Chapel which is at the bottom of Sheffield Moor. The chapel was bombed during the Second World War and Mr Boot was charged with making the chapel safe so brought some of the masonry to his house on the moors. The walk continued through the rhododendron forest at Sugworth Hall to Moscar. Across the A57 to Stanage End and to Jarvis Clough. Gorgeous colours in the low winter light, ice on the flagstones and mitigating the bogs, made a beautiful walk.

Submit a CommentPlease be polite. We appreciate that.

Your Comment