Castle Mountaineering Club is a BMC-affiliated club based in Sheffield. Our members partake in a wide range of club activities including rock climbing, mountaineering, indoor climbing, bouldering, walking, hiking, Munro bagging, road cycling and mountain biking.
We’re a friendly, sociable and supportive group with many years of experience.
The Castle has a clubroom behind the Rising Sun on Abbey Lane, Sheffield. We meet there from time to time for social, training, and other activities. These are listed on the Home Page of the website. During the winter we hold regular presentations of members’ activities undertaken during the year. We also hold an annual photographic competition (although none has taken place since 2019).
Club members engage in a wide range of activities. Take a look at the meets list, on the home page, to see the various activities we’re currently running. The Meets list is put together by the committee on a regular basis, getting input from club members for locations. There are also trips are arranged informally between members; whatever you want to do, you’re sure to find someone else who’s interested, and most likely also someone who’s already done it with some good advice to pass on!
When it is too dark to climb outside in the evenings we often meet at a local climbing or bouldering wall – keep on eye on our messageboard for more information.
Benefits of Club Membership
- You automatically join the British Mountaineering Council and become part of a much wider network of climbers and hill walkers. Additionally you make a contribution to their access, conservation, safety and environmental work.
- Through the BMC you get £10m third party liability insurance which protects you if you cause an accident on a club meet or as an individual.
- Your BMC membership card gets you up to a 15% discount with 700+ outdoor retailers nationwide.
- Joining us gives you the opportunity to find climbing, walking, mountaineering, biking and skiing partners.
- You join a bunch of sociable, like-minded people keen and knowledgeable on many aspects of the outdoors.
- The club provides organised activities 52 weeks of the year including monthly away meets and weekday evening climbing from April to October. Lift sharing is often available and makes sense to more distant destinations.
- You gain access to advice and mentoring from other members.
- You can gain skills from informal training sessions such as navigation, ropework and bike maintenance.
- You can access BMC subsidised training courses and other events.
- The club takes the risk of booking huts, campsites and other accommodation, sometimes years in advance for popular locations.
- You can use the club’s extensive library.
- The club organises regular photo presentations of recent trips undertaken by members together with film nights and other social events.
Our policy on Privacy is stated in our Privacy Notice.
|Lin Warris||–||Vice President|
|Gemma Scougal||–||Membership Secretary|
|Kial Wright||–||Meets Secretary|
|Matt Biggins||–||Committee Member|
|Bill Boley||–||Committee Member|
|Vanda Boyd||–||Committee Member|
|Julian Brooks||–||Committee Member|
|Helen Dunnett||–||Committee Member|
|Chris Lunn||–||Committee Member|
|Andrew Milne||–||Committee Member|
|Richard Pegram||–||Committee Member|
|Rosie Twambley||–||Committee Member|
For more information, please see our FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions).