walk Sunday 8th march

Home Forums Messages click here walk Sunday 8th march

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Elen Rees
    Participant

Who would be interested in a 10-12 mile walk around Holloway, just South of Wirksworth? Not a lot not to like. Route not finally finalised yet but will include Medieval Manors, deer parks, canal engineering, industrial revolution landscapes and some pretty bits inbetween. Historical figures associated with this walk include Florence Nightingale and the woman who wasnt Beatrix Potter but wrote similar stories, Alison Something.
    Having problems remembering where is good to park as my first thought place may be inaccessible due to a landslip. We shall meet in Riber at GR SK 308 589 at road junction. Leave plenty of time to find a carpark space.
    If I have time I may go and reccy carparking and will also remember Alison’s surname.

Meet at 10.00am bring butties. No useful cafes
    Please lift share

Andy Smith
    Keymaster

Alison Uttley

Chris Lunn
    Participant

Hi Elen

Jo and myself would be interested 😁

Rgds
    Chis

Elen Rees
    Participant

Important Update
    I’ve consulted some locals
    Meet at 10.00 and park just north of Holloway on the road which goes through the village.. Park just opposite the cemetery SK 323 568
    Also the B road from Cromford which follows the Derwent is closed. Access Holloway either from the North or via Whatstandwell.
    10.15 start
    See you there Chris and Jo
    PS. There will be lots of photo comp opps.

Chris Lunn
    Participant

We’ll be there got the post code for the cemetery and we don’t use the closed road to get there so shouldn’t get lost😂
    Chris

Kial Wright
    Keymaster

Me and Lance dog are coming, see you there.

Elen Rees
    Participant

11 people (including 4 from Derwent MC) did a quite good walk from Holloway. From Holloway we made our way down to the Cromford canal via the Dukes Quarry, once leased by Leon’s employer Wildgoose Construction.. Then up again for more views and back down to canal before a final pull up to Riber Castle which was built by John Smedley, mill owner. Smedley’s is still going and on Sunday we learnt that they are the manufacturers of the Queen’s knickers. Back to Holloway via the gorgeous hamlet of Dethick, home of the Babingtons, one of whom was beheaded by Queen Elizabeth I for plotting to put Mary Queen of Scots on the throne
    A fitting International WOmen’s day walk as it passed the birthplaces of Florence Nightingale (nurse and statistician) and Alison Uttley author of a number of children’s books. She won a scholarship to Manchester University to read physics and in 1906 she became the second woman honours graduate of the university.
    Apologies for those who came for the blip in map reading before lunch.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.