Underwater Cycling Meet Report

Home Forums Messages click here Underwater Cycling Meet Report

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vanda boyd
    Participant

8 of us set out on a rather gloomy but dry morning from Yorkshire Bridge, intending to visit the usually underwater Derwent Village, flooded in 1944 to create the Ladybower Reservoir. We son reached the village and spent some time exploring before resuming along what’s usually the bed of the reservoir. My intention was to reach Fairholmes through the woods but it was unilaterally decided by somebody (Elen?) that we should cross the river via a log and stones. Although there was much potential for falling in, nobody did so, coffee etc then taken at the cafe. Much delay was then caused by the meet leader losing his bike lock key. After substantial searching Elen decided to take action and returned with some bolt croppers, don’t ask, and proceeded to cut the lock off!
    Progress was then made towards Tin Town until one bicycle suffered a major failure necessitating a long walk back for Dick. Lynne heroically decided to accompany him. The rest of us finally continued on to Slippery Stones and returned via the Eastern edge, briefly pausing to chat to the immediate past President of the Eagle Ski club recuperating from an 18th birthday party the previous evening.
    Back at the cars the early returners had gone, hopefully alls well. The majority ended the day in the Angler’s Rest, Yorkshire Bridge too full.
    GPS said 19.7 miles. Legs said more!!

Dick Murton
    Participant

I managed to slowly cycle back past Fairholmes, braking on downhill bits to keep the chain in tension, but then the back wheel seized up completely shearing the skewer holding the wheel on, so did then have to walk the rest of the way.

Bill boley
    Participant

Not quite how I would put it.
    1 Those who took the ‘safe ‘route fell over or slipped in the mud
    2. The meet leader asked me to poise for a photo while I unsuccessfully tried to cut his bike lock. The actual deed was done by the Dowling Bros.
    Mi Lud
    Elen

vanda boyd
    Participant

1. I never said the route through the woods was safe, just that you’d have to push bikes because it was steep.
    2. I’ll put the photos on Facebook tomorrow and let the jury decide. Pictures never lie 😱😱

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.