Thursday Walk Feb 16th

Home Forums Messages click here Thursday Walk Feb 16th

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lin Warriss
    Participant

Taking advantage of the free parking at Calton Lees meet in the car park 258685 at 11am as usual. We will walk up to Calton houses and across to Edensor, then towards Chatsworth and up into Stand Wood. A circuitous route through the wood will be followed by a drop down into Beeley. There are lots of variations possible on the last section ranging between 5 and 7 miles. I will take a final decision on the day depending on attendees , weather and mudness, but people may chose to take their own preferred route down.
    There is wild swimming in the area and I will probably finish off in the garden centre (cafe available) unless my driver gets stroppy.

Lin Warriss
    Participant

IMPORTANT: Having paid £5 at Calton Lees yesterday I now find that the free parking until March 16th does not apply when there is a half term anywhere, not just Derbyshire.
    I therefore intend to start this walk from Beeley Top (287681) where there is good roadside parking and it really is free. The road up through Beeley is still closed so access is from the East. Unfortunately this messes up my carefully planned shortcuts, the full circuit is likely to be 7-8 miles. Apologies, Lin.

Lin Warriss
    Participant

4 of us met at Beeley Top, inadvertently abandoning another member due to dodgy phone reception. Early mist cleared as we dropped down into Beeley along a path unknown to all but the leader. A coffee break on a handy tree trunk resulted in the discovery of our mishap but too late to remedy the situation. A gentle walk up from Calton Lees passed a fine herd of deer and descended behind Edensor to see the snowdrops. Our route through Stand Wood avoided the half term crowds. 7.5 miles was pretty much as anticipated and made very pleasant by the great company.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.