Thursday Walk 27th November 5 Weirs walk Sheffield

Home Forums Messages click here Thursday Walk 27th November 5 Weirs walk Sheffield

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    mike doyle
    Participant

In response to suggestions from 2 members I have decided to do the Sheffield 5 weirs walk along the Don to Meadowhall returning by the canal to Victoria Quays, which forms the”Blue Loop” and is conveniently 8 miles in length.For information and an interactive map go to http://www.theblueloop.org
    The official start is from Lady’s Bridge below Castle Market from where the Don is followed to the Wicker arches and on to Meadow Hall.
    The easiest way to get to Lady’s Bridge is probably to use the buses- particularly those with travel passes( or train if travelling from the Hope Valley)-but there is a car park at Victoria Quays which has a set charge of £3 all day.To get there drive up the ParkWay and turn left at the A61 turn off towards the Wicker and take the second left which leads straight down and into the car park. It may also be possible to access it via the entrance to Victoria Quays/the Hilton Hotel near Park Head roundabout-I haven’t been able to check that yet. From the CP it a short walk along the A61 to a bridge over the Don where steps lead down to the river and the 5Weirs walk. I suggest ,if you take this option, that you walk eastwards towards the Wicker Arches and wait for the rest of us at the walkers suspension bridge underneath the Wicker.
    A riskier alternative is to drive through the Wicker Arches, turn right along Saville Street and park on the massive car park for the new 24 hourTescoes.It was very empty when I checked it out on Monday and there were no warnings about illicit use-but you would have to be prepared to take the consequences if discovered! If taking this option, from the CP walk back to and under the Wicker and then turn left immediately into an alleyway leading to the Don which brings you out by the walkers suspension bridge mentioned above,
    Let me know if you are coming by car and we can exchange mobile nos.
    After the Wicker we will follow the route to MHall and then continue back along the canal. Lunch can be taken al frescoe but if the weather is poor there are opportunities for a pub/café stop in the MHall area. Anyone not wanting to walk back can catch a bus or tram.
    See you there.
    Mike

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.