Sunday Walk – 6th February – Totley Moor

Home Forums Messages click here Sunday Walk – 6th February – Totley Moor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gemma Scougal
    Keymaster

Hi folks,
    Walk for Sunday 6th February.
    Meet at the car park at the top of Strawberry Lee Lane (SK 291 803) at 9:30am. It’s a fairly small car park so car share where possible; we could also block each other in as an option for utilisating space. If for some reason, the local dog walkers have beat us to the spaces, there is parking at the very top of Moss Road (GR SK 292 799) and taking the 2 minute walk down the lane to meet us in the car park.

Route description:
    ~13miles
    A mixed bag of moorland, gritstone esge and woodland.
    We’ll head up the drag through Blacka Moor then Houndkirk Moor followed by Burbage Moor. After a fairly flat stint along Burbage, before looping back to Higgar Tor, Millstone Edge and into Yarncliff Wood. From here, we’ll cross Longshaw Estate and back across Totely Moor.

See you there.
    Gemma

Alison Lindley
    Participant

Hi, I’m going to try to make it to this walk – can I take my ArchieDog with me?

thanks

Alison Lindley

Gemma Scougal
    Keymaster

Hi Alison, yes of course. Being Archie along. Always up for having a few dogs on the walk 🙂.
    See you then.

Gemma Scougal
    Keymaster

Well the weather said it all really.
    4 brave souls and soggy scottie dog headed from the shelter of Blacka Moor woods into the headwinds across Houndkirk Moor towards Burbage Edge. And it wasn’t just rain, there were hail showers beating in our faces too. We continued on, splodging through through boggy ground. Before long the meet leader took pity on the drenched folk and cut a few corners off the orginal route. This was fortunate and we were blessed with a beautiful double rainbow near Higgar Tor. We turned southwards and got slight relief from the weather. The meet leader then decided to make another short cut and the mention of a hot drink at Longshaw cafe was sound to people’s hears. When we arrived at the visitors’ center we were disgraced to hear that dogs weren’t allowed in the newly rennovated cafe. So to not risk people getting cold, we decideded to drive on and up over Totley Moor where we saw a herd of red deer. On the descent back to the car, there was a spell on blue skies and it felt almost pleasant.
    ~9miles in total. Thankyou to Hugh and Alison and Archie for bravely turning up. I hope you’ve dried out!
    Photos on facebook.
    Gemma

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.