South Yorks Thursday walk Dec 3rd

Home Forums Messages click here South Yorks Thursday walk Dec 3rd

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Crowther
    Keymaster

A six mile tour of Sheffield’s Highland and Lakeland. Park at the top of Brogging lane on the Strines road. There is some hard standing here, or use the verge further along the road (GR SK 227 908). We will plunge into the dark forest of the Wentworth Fitzwilliam estate, emerging on Thornseat Road. Up there to the moors, around the edge of the old quarry area and back east on an old track from the shooting cabins to Mortimer Road. Bridlepath downhill to Dale Road then track down below the dam and around to climb up to join the Sheffield Country walk to the footbridge across to Brogging and back to the cars.

Maximum of 6, if more then will need a leader for a second group who can park about halfway round the walk on Dale Road (space by the wall, popular with dog walkers, GR SK 246 921) and go the same way round (recommended for better views).

So far I have the following booked in: Dave C, Marian, Chris K, Mike D. John M, Ali, Andrew

Please call or message me for a place. I’ll update this notice as people check in.
    Dave C

David Crowther
    Keymaster

I currently have 7 signed up for the SY Thursday walk Dec 3rd, so could do with a volunteer to lead the second group, plus a few more. A nice 6 mile walk – anyone?

David Crowther
    Keymaster

I currently have 7 signed up for the SY Thursday walk Dec 3rd, so could do with a volunteer to lead the second group, plus a few more. A nice 6 mile walk – anyone?

David Crowther
    Keymaster

Walk report SY Thursday walk, Dec 3rd 2020

Thanks to the hardy 6 who joined me for this walk despite the weather forecast. In the event we finished before the worst of the rain. Special thanks to Marian for leading the second group.
    The 6.2 mile circuit took in the concessionary path through the FWW plantation from the top of Brogging lane on the Strines road, emerging on Thornseat Road. Up from there to the moors, around the edge of the old quarry area and back east on an old track from the shooting cabins to Mortimer Road. A bridlepath took us downhill to Dale Road then the track down below the dam. The path up through the woods took us via the Sheffield Country walk to the footbridge across to Brogging and back to the cars.
    The route was the same for both groups (Dave C with Chris K, John M and Mike D; and Marian with Ali and Andrew) but with different start points (Brogging and Dale Road). Unfortunately this meant that by the time Marian’s group got to the highest part of the walk the clag was down, losing the views down the valley. I had an embarrassing moment as we passed a Sheffield Wildlife Trust party rebuilding part of a dry stone wall – I didn’t recognise the leader, who I have worked with before.
    A bit of sleet in the wind up top, and mud at our feet, but an enjoyable day nonetheless.
    Dave C
    Photos: DC group. coffee and lunch spots

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.