Sat 2nd July 10am Jo Browns Numbers walk

Home Forums Messages click here Sat 2nd July 10am Jo Browns Numbers walk

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Elen Rees
    Participant

Hello All
    I am organising a walk of c 12miles around some of the route of Joe Brown’s numbers with the Derwent MC club. There will be around 5 of us . CMC members are very welcome to join us
    The walk will start at 10am sharp from the carpark on the East side of the dam between Fernilee and Errwood resevoirs, just below Bunsal Cob. GR SK 018 759 There are loos at the car park.
    It is a really lovely varied walk with lovely scenery in valley bottoms and on moor tops with amazing views
    The best approach is from Buxton on the A5004 towards Whaley Bridge. Please note that the road is closed between Whaley Bridge and the turn off to the Goyt Valley so please do NOT come from the Whaley Bridge direction. It will be messy and you will miss all the fun.

If you would prefer to do the route by yourself or in a small group then please get in touch and I can recommend another starting point. Other options include the full route at c 18/20 miles, a similar 12mile to the above or or a slightly longer route starting at Errwood. Let me know and Ill send you a suggested starting point and the clues. Paul Embrey and David P are thinking of doing the full route.
    Helen D and Linda M have also said they were interested. Let me know if you would like to join us ( and you would be very welcome) or do it separately)

It is more fun if you do not google the route, the navigational bit is easy . We found it difficult to find one or two clues once in situ but for no particular reason as when we di find them they seemed obvious. You can always text me or Paul E should you miss one.

Background
    Joe Brown worked at Whitehall outdoor centre in the 1960s while there he devised a navigational challenge starting and finishing at Whitehall. He carved the clues in rocks. These clues were either grid references or bearings and distances in yards. All of the clues are accessible by paths, but the paths may not be marked on the map. In the case of the bearings it works better to do the calculation on the map first as the paths may not be direct,

You will need a 1:25k white peak map and a compass, preferably one with scale rule to work out six figure GRs and distances, even those with me may like to bring map and compass, it adds to the fun. For those with me we will have two or three mini lunches while at the clues.

Let me know if you are coming. I would suggest all meeting up in a pub afterwards but the road closure makes that idea all a bit messy so have decided not to.

Hope all this makes sense
    All the best

Elen Rees
    Participant

Five CMC embers joined a Derwent MC meet to do part of the Jo Brown Challenge. The route took us down the Goyt Valley to Castle Naze and Coombes Edge. The weather was kind, the views were grand and the crack team made mincemeat of JBs challenge. Best of all I got to use my first aid kit on a relatively minor injury.
    David P and Paul E took on the whole challenge , finding all clues and taking 12 hours to do 24 miles (not sure if this includes backtracking to pick up forgotten rucksack) and 4200ft ascent or thereabouts.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.