Rope advice

Home Forums Messages click here Rope advice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Lunn
    Participant

Hi all

Since I’ve been out and climbed with you most of you use twin rope bit of advice wanted on what would be a good size /length of rope to buy as I have single ropes but I can see the advantages of using twin ropes

Cheers
    Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Chris,

Yes double ropes are great for trad climbing. Takes a bit of practice to get right. We are a bit unconventional as we have a 60m Beal 8 point something mm rope (their cheapest one, about £60 or 70) which we use doubled at crags up to the height of Stanage. We also have the same type in a 50m and we use both at taller crags like Millstone. The advantage of using a doubled rope is that, if you coil it doubled, it is a lot quicker to just flake it out doubled than flaking out 2 ropes. The disadvantage is that, when you are climbing, both ropes are the same colour, so you may be best off using 2 separate ropes to start with to reduce any confusion!

The Beal rope handle really nicely – a little bit prone to coiling when they are first used, but that soon disappears.

Hope that helps,
    John

Paul Williams
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Like you, I’ve noticed others using twin ropes. As there are apparent advantages when placing safety off the climbing line, traversing, etc, I have bought two ropes for the purpose. The first was a normal Beal Verdon half rope, the second a triple rated rope which doubles as a single rope for sport climbing, etc. This rope is a Simond Edge Dry rope from Decathlon. At £74.99 for a 50m rope, this also suited my shallow pockets. They also do a dry cover half rope in both orange and blue if pink (the Edge Dry) isn’t your thing. Urban Rock (urbanrock.com) also have good deals on pairs of Beal half ropes (other brands and suppliers are also available). Hope this helps.
    On the subject of climbing with twin ropes, for our experienced climbers. Would it be possible to have a tutorial one Sunday for newbies such as myself, in the use of twin ropes, building on the beginners sessions held earlier in the year ?

Paul Williams

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.