Paul Fowkes memorial walk – report

Home Forums Messages click here Paul Fowkes memorial walk – report

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    David Crowther
    Keymaster

Despite a gloomy day, eleven of us gathered near Odin’s mine for a 7-ish mile walk around Castleton. The first mud was encountered 50 yards from the start, and the fields across to the cemetery reminded us that Spring has arrived – with a thaw..

We gathered around Paul’s memorial and paid our respects, Vanda laying some flowers from her garden. After a few memories and a photograph John M departed for an appointment and the rest of us headed up to Lose Hill,.

A coffee stop by a babbling brook (just after some very gooey mud). was followed by a steep ascent on a path(?) that might or might not have been the meet leader’s intended route.. This took us a bit below the summit, where a dogleg across brought us to the normal route up from Hope. A cold wind dissuaded much lingering, but the Ward plaque was examined to reassure one member that we were indeed on Lose Hill (the views being somewhat restricted by the weather).

Lunch was taken behind the wall further along the ridge, in shelter from the northerly wind. We veered off right at Hollins Cross to drop down to Greenlands so that we could gain another mile and a second ascent, up to Mam Tor. The planned route was then extended slightly with a walk back east along the ridge until we gained the diagonal path back down to the old road and Odin’s mine. More mud was found on the descent, to Steve’s delight.

I think that we passed the same school party 3 times – or do they all look and sound alike? Anyhow they seemed to be enjoying the day and so did we, The seven of us without pressing duties made it to the Woodbine cafe minutes before they closed., to finish the day with tea and scones – Paul would have approved.

Total distance 7.7 miles.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.