Reply To: 12th January Walk 2023

Home Forums Messages click here 12th January Walk 2023 Reply To: 12th January Walk 2023

Peter Hammond
Participant

Walk Report
16 of us set off from Curbar Gap in drizzly conditions – the dry forecast was wrong again!
Coffee break was taken on some convenient logs at the path crossroads below Froggatt Edge.
2 of our number then departed on the eastward path back for a shorter walk.
We carried on down to Froggatt Bridge and then proceeded along the River Derwent path through Calver.
Albeit wet conditions have prevailed for some time the path to Baslow wasn’t as muddy as expected only scoring 7 out of 10 on Martin’s Mudness scale – dodging large puddles being the main issue.
Approaching Baslow the River Derwent was certainly in spate as noted on the Walkers WhatsApp. page video.
The weather luckily dried up for our lunch stop on the seats behind Baslow church where some took advantage of the stone seating in the rear porch. We were asked to sign the church visitors book by a ‘local’ which most of our number did. The church clock was mentioned as having ‘Victoria’ lettering in lieu of numerals which I hadn’t noticed before – see also WhatsApp pic.
From the church we took the road up through the village and then the path along underneath Baslow Edge
back to the cars. Early lambs were detected in fields below our path – hopefully they’ll survive the colder weather expected next week.
An enjoyable walk with some sunny periods and good views. Good timing got us back to the parking area just as the rain started again.
Thanks to all who came and for your excellent company plus my thanks to Gordon for keeping the party together from the rear. A distance of 7.33 miles by my Strava app.
Pete

Pete’s pics

Chris’s pics